Lack of vitamin D causes fragile bones: studyJune 2nd, 2008 - 4:48 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, June 2 (IANS) Most patients with vitamin D deficiency were found to have a history of fragile bones that exposed them to the risk of osteopororis, according to a study. The bone disease not only affected adults, but also children. Vitamin D insufficiency may also contribute to low bone mass or even aggravate underlying metabolic bone disease.
Vitamin D is essential in bone growth and mineralisation in children and adults. A mild deficiency causes rickets in children and can be overcome with increased amount of nutritional vitamin D intake as well as sun exposure.
The new study, conducted by US physicians, is the first to investigate vitamin D insufficiency in paediatric patients with low bone density.
Sasigarn Bowden, the study’s co-author, explained: “We need to check vitamin D levels in all patients with history of multiple fractures or low bone density and treat the vitamin D problem if the levels are low.
“The supplementation of vitamin D should be a priority in the management of paediatric patients with osteoporosis or osteopenia in order to optimise their bone health and potentially prevent fractures.”
Potential factors that may account for vitamin D insufficiency in various chronic medical conditions include low vitamin D intake and decreased sun exposure.
Four studies in Europe found that 80 percent of healthy children and adolescents had insufficient vitamin D levels in the winter.
The study has been published in the latest issue of the journal Paediatrics.
- Oral steroids bring on vitamin D deficiency - Sep 30, 2011
- Lack of vitamin D 'puts IBD patients at greater risk of osteoporosis' - Oct 19, 2010
- Majority of obese teens are vitamin D deficient - Apr 28, 2011
- Kids with celiac disease should go for vitamins to stave off bone disease: Study - Jul 23, 2010
- Too much of sunblock 'causing a rise in Vit D deficiency in children' - Feb 03, 2011
- Study sheds light on impact of vitamin D insufficiency in pediatric patients - Jun 02, 2008
- Modern lifestyle bringing back rickets to Britain - Nov 14, 2010
- Going out in the midday sun may be good for you - Dec 17, 2010
- Higher vitamin D intake needed to cut cancer risk - Feb 23, 2011
- Vit D insufficiency high in patients with early Parkinson disease - Mar 15, 2011
- Vitamin D deficiency may cause infertility - Feb 03, 2012
- Vitamin D deficiency linked to reduced lung function - Feb 01, 2011
- Weight loss increases Vitamin D in obese women - May 26, 2011
- Treating Vit D deficiency could ease depression - Jun 27, 2012
- Vitamin D2 effectively treats vitamin D deficiency - Oct 27, 2009
Tags: adolescents, bone growth, bone health, bone mass, bowden, chronic medical conditions, co author, fractures, fragile bones, insufficient vitamin, lack of vitamin d, low bone density, metabolic bone disease, osteopenia, osteoporosis, paediatric patients, paediatrics, sun exposure, supplementation, vitamin d deficiency