Kudankulam reactor to operate from October: MinisterAugust 22nd, 2012 - 11:29 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Aug 22 (IANS) The first unit of the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project (KNPP) is scheduled to be operational by October 2012 and the 500 MW prototype fast breeder reactor in September 2014, parliament was told Wednesday.
In a written reply in the Lok Sabha, Minister of State in the Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions and in the Prime Minister’s Office V. Narayanasamy said: “The first unit of this project is now scheduled to be operational by October 2012 and the second unit is closely following.”
The two 1,000 MW units of KNPP were initially scheduled to be completed in December 2008.
“The project was initially delayed due to non-sequential receipt of equipment from the Russian Federation and subsequently due to local protests impeding the work during September 2011 to March 19, 2012. The government has taken steps to allay the legitimate apprehensions of the local people. Work has resumed round-the-clock since March 20, 2012,” he said.
He said the Kudankulam project is being set up in technical cooperation with the Russian Federation.
Referring to the prototype fast breeder reactor, Narayanasamy said the project has been rescheduled to September 2014.
A breeder reactor is one that breeds more material for a nuclear fission reaction than it consumes.
- Major pre-fuel loading exercise over at Kudankulam - Sep 12, 2012
- Madras High Court reserves order on Kudankulam - Aug 23, 2012
- Kudankulam reactor to be fuelled around Sep 11, protestors to intensify stir - Sep 07, 2012
- Atomic regulatory team inspecting Kudankulam reactor - Sep 10, 2012
- Kudankulam reactor may get one year operational licence - Sep 08, 2012
- Government can inspect books but timing suspect: Kudankulam activist - Jan 20, 2012
- Answers being prepared about Kudankulam n-plant - Nov 10, 2011
- Tamil Nadu should act against nuke protestors: Minister - Mar 03, 2012
- Bhavini takes measures in favour of fast reactor project - Jun 11, 2012
- Kudankulam parties welcome Jayalalithaa's announcement - Feb 04, 2012
- Kudankulam deadlock likely to continue - Jan 30, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters assaulted, talks cancelled - Jan 31, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters demand white paper - Nov 12, 2011
- Tamil Nadu gives hope to Nuclear Power Corp on Kudankulam - Jan 23, 2012
- Kudankulam protesters assaulted, talks cancelled (Second Lead) - Jan 31, 2012
Tags: apprehensions, chennai, fast breeder reactor, Lok Sabha, march 19, minister of state, ministry of personnel, mw units, nuclear fission reaction, nuclear power project, parliament, pensions, prime minister, protests, prototype, public grievances, receipt, reply, russian federation, technical cooperation