Kerala’s 50,000 teachers to get discounted laptopsJanuary 8th, 2011 - 5:15 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Jan 8 (IANS) As many as 50,000 teachers in Kerala will soon be able to buy either a laptop or a netbook computer at a discounted price, according to an official.The scheme has been initiated by IT@School, the technology arm of the state government’s general education department. Its aim is to empower schools with the latest information communication technology-enabled education, besides implementing e-governance within the education department.
Anwar Sadath, head of IT@School, Saturday said that they are acting as facilitators to help the teachers get computers at a huge discount.
“A laptop will cost Rs.17,770 and a netbook Rs.11,450. The discount comes to as much as 36-37 percent,” Sadat said.
According to him, the response has been remarkable. “We expect over 50,000 orders and it would be executed on a first-come-first-serve basis,” said Sadath.
Three companies - HCL, RP Infosystems and Wipro - will be supplying the laptops while the first two are contracted to supply the netbook, he added.
“Normally the laptop-netbook and its accessories come with one-year warranty. But our scheme ensures 3-year warranty, including that for the battery and power adapter, which is a unique facility provided to IT@School purchases only,” said Sadath.
- Intel donates 625 laptops for Kerala e-learning school project - Oct 02, 2011
- IT@School to give 60,000 DVDs to school teachers in Kerala - Jul 13, 2010
- Five Kerala schools get infotech upgrade - Dec 29, 2010
- Differently-abled students in Kerala to be made computer literate - Nov 01, 2011
- Kerala schools to have free digital libraries - Mar 08, 2010
- Visually challenged teachers learn computers - Aug 04, 2011
- Kerala plans 140 specialized computer schools - Aug 01, 2010
- 'New class 10 ICT textbook with animation and GIS' - Feb 27, 2012
- Kerala education department on eMission to Brazil - Mar 17, 2012
- Kerala's IT@School Project to train Parents - Aug 14, 2011
- And now Kerala to air educational reality show - Sep 01, 2010
- Free animation skills for Kerala school kids - Apr 29, 2011
- Kerala school project gets global recognition - Dec 02, 2010
- Kerala teachers to get opportunity to teach in Brazil - Mar 24, 2012
- Free software saves Kerala schools Rs.11 crore - Jul 23, 2009
Tags: aim, e governance, facilitators, general education department, information communication technology, infosystems, kerala, laptop, laptops, power adapter, sadat, school purchases, state government, technology arm, warranty