Kerala to webcast temple festivalMarch 16th, 2011 - 8:16 pm ICT by IANS
Thrissur (Kerala) March 16 (IANS) Billed as the first of its kind initiative, Kerala’s tourism department will webcast the last two days of the seven-day ‘Arattupuzha Pooram’, a mass celebration of 23 temples.
The webcast will begin 6 p.m. on March 18 and continue till 2 p.m. March 19. The webcast can be watched at www.keralatourism.org.
The Arattupuzha temple, dedicated to Lord Sree Dharma Sastha, has been performing the ‘pooram’ for the last 1,428 years.
“Cultural tourism is the focus area of Kerala tourism. The culture, festivals and traditions of Kerala, if promoted in a big way, would bring more travellers to the state. The live webcast of Arattupuzha Pooram is a step in this regard,” said tourism secretary V. Venu.
Kerala tourism will bring to the viewers the most exciting moments of the last two days of the seven-day festival.
The ‘devamela’ or the divine gathering during the grand finale of the festivities is an occasion of colour, pomp and pageantry.
On the eve of the penultimate day of the festival, deities of the participating temples arrive at the temple on caparisoned elephants in colourful processions.
Grand elephant pageantry, traditional percussion ensembles and special rituals mark the celebrations, which last till the next morning.
- Elephant processions, percussion orchestras mark Kerala festivals (Letter from Kerala) - May 12, 2012
- All set for Kerala's iconic Thrissur Pooram - May 10, 2011
- Devotees celebrate 'Pooram' in Tripunithura - Dec 08, 2010
- Kerala readies for Thrissur Pooram festival - Apr 29, 2012
- Thrissur Pooram festivities begin - May 01, 2012
- Kerala prepares for Pooram Festival - Apr 23, 2010
- Caparisoned elephants steal the show at Thrissur Pooram - Apr 24, 2010
- Hundreds of thousands converge as 'Thrissur Pooram' begins in Kerala - Apr 24, 2010
- Tech-savvy Kerala Tourism wins national award yet again - Mar 01, 2012
- Two dozen injured as elephant runs amok - May 02, 2012
- Kerala Tourism unveils 'virtual' pookalam - Sep 09, 2011
- Mysore Dasara begins, promises pomp, pageantry - Sep 28, 2011
- Kerala readies for grand Thrissur Pooram festival - May 01, 2009
- Mysore Dasara promises a feast of pomp and pageantry - Oct 09, 2010
- Caparisoned elephants steel the show at Kerala's temple festival - Apr 05, 2009
Tags: cultural tourism, deities, dharma, elephants, festivities, focus area, grand elephant, grand finale, keralatourism, kind initiative, live webcast, mass celebration, percussion ensembles, pomp and pageantry, sree, temple festival, thrissur kerala, tourism department, tourism secretary, traditional percussion