Kerala to mark eight years of Akshaya e-initiativeNovember 8th, 2010 - 7:37 pm ICT by IANS
Thiruvananthapuram, Nov 8 (IANS) Akshaya, an innovative project in Kerala aimed at bridging the digital divide by bringing IT to the common man, is reaching a new milestone as it completes eight years Nov 18.
Akshaya was conceived by the Kerala State Information Technology Mission to take the benefits of IT to the entire state even though it initially addressed the backwardness of Malappuram district.
Over the years it has opened over 2,000 citizen service centres (CSC) across the state with at least two e-kendra centres in every village panchayat.
Each e-kendra, set up within two to three kilometres of every household, caters to the requirements of around 1,000-3,000 families to make available the power of networking and connectivity to the common man.
The various facilities that these CSCs offer include educational programmes on e-literacy, with classes on how to handle a computer.
Another popular facility is the e-payment platform which covers utility bills like electricity, water, telephone bills and even university fees.
People can also book their railway tickets through these centres and also file sales tax returns by traders.
Korath V. Mathew, director of Akshaya, told reporters here that as part of the anniversary celebrations Chief Minister V S Achuthanandan will Tuesday flag off the ‘Akshaya Janasevana Pracharana Yathra’ which begins from Kasargode, through a video-conference.
- Kerala's e-literacy centres turn service centres - Nov 18, 2010
- e-village programme eases rural people's lives - Jul 17, 2011
- Technopark employees can now pay bills at campus - Jan 19, 2011
- Now pay traffic fines in Kerala at IT centres - Jun 19, 2010
- Kerala to launch e-governance project Friday - Dec 14, 2010
- AISECT launches its common service centre project in Punjab - Jan 07, 2011
- Now, internet facility for rural Bihar - Dec 16, 2009
- Government to set up 100,000 common service centres - Feb 17, 2009
- WIPRO computerises five cooperative banks - Jul 31, 2012
- Eid celebrated in Kerala - Aug 19, 2012
- Pay commercial taxes online in Karnataka - May 12, 2011
- Muslims in Kerala celebrate Eid - Aug 31, 2011
- Common service centres to generate 400,000 jobs - Mar 19, 2009
- More people take to ePay services in Dubai - Aug 11, 2010
- Jharkhand launches online tax payment (Lead) - Dec 27, 2010
Tags: anniversary celebrations, backwardness, bridging the digital divide, chief minister, citizen service, common man, csc, information technology mission, innovative project, kendra, kerala state, kilometres, mathew, milestone, payment platform, state information technology, tax returns, utility bills, v s achuthanandan, video conference