‘Kerala can become vibrant R&D; hub for different sectors’September 13th, 2012 - 10:13 pm ICT by IANS
Kochi, Sep 13 (IANS) Kerala has the potential to become a research and development (R&D;) hub for various sectors with its scientific talent pool and the presence of several institutes, said panellists at the Emerging Kerala-2012-Global Connect conference here Thursday.
Setting the pace of the discussion, Rajesh Nair, vice president at Ernst and Young consultancy firm, said: “The Indian pharma industry is expected to be top five innovation hubs in the world.”
According to T. Ramasami, union science and technology secretary, more than 1,100 MNCs have invested India for R&D; and Kerala residents can earn higher income working in these fields.
Stressing that R&D; does give return on investments, V.N.Rajasekharan Pillai, the state’s principal secretary, science and technology, said there is wide scope for investors to commercialise the R&D; activities of Kerala-based institutes as there is no single institutional mechanism for the purpose.
Pillai said there is an urgent need in Kerala for an institution like the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research.
Julius Zacharias, managing director of BrahMos Aerospace Ltd, said the company is mulling to set up the Advanced Research Institute of Nano Technology in Kerala.
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
- New version of BrahMos missile tested - Mar 28, 2012
- DRDO to display models of missiles - Jan 01, 2012
- Indian Army inducts second cruise missile unit close to Pakistan border - Mar 04, 2012
- Need for Kerala to reform higher education: Experts - Sep 14, 2012
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version to begin this year: Russian official - Jun 12, 2011
- 40 Indian fighter jets to be fitted with BrahMos missiles - Apr 22, 2010
- BrahMos missile likely to be inducted in IAF by 2013 - Aug 25, 2010
- India, Russia spar over BrahMos missile air version - Mar 12, 2011
- BrahMos Aerospace to make cryogenic engines for Indian rockets - Jan 30, 2011
- 'Food processing industry needs to form consortium for R&D;' - Jun 30, 2011
Tags: aerospace ltd, brahmos, connect conference, consultancy firm, different sectors, ernst and young, hubs, indian pharma industry, institutional mechanism, mncs, nair, pillai, principal secretary, return on investments, science and technology, setting the pace, talent pool, tata institute of fundamental research, technology secretary, zacharias