Jellyfish can now be kept as tank pets due to new breakthroughAugust 24th, 2011 - 9:17 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 24 (THAINDIAN NEWS) Jellyfishes can now be kept as pets thanks to a breakthrough in the design of aquarium tanks. Keeping the animals as pets was very tricky because they tend to be sucked in when the current fish tanks are used. The problem had to do with the way the filtration systems of the tanks are designed.
According to a new report by NBC, an aquarium designer Alex Andon has designed a breakthrough aquarium tank fitted with the right filtration system. The tank makes it possible for jellyfishes to float in the tank without being sucked into the filtration system. This is a major obstacle cleared and it will undoubtedly mean more people will have the opportunity to keep the animals as pets.
The new tanks can be placed on the desktop and they are being offered for a donation of $350 to Kickstarter. The tank can accommodate up to five jellyfishes. The tanks come with Moon Jellyfishes which are considered not harmful to human beings.
Having certain water creatures as pets is a subject that has both supporters and opponents. In the summer, San Francisco Animal Control & Welfare Commission’s Philip Gerrie announced that, “Most fish in aquariums are either mass bred under inhumane conditions or taken from the wild … That leads to devastation of tropical fish from places like Southeast Asia.”
San Francisco is considering a ban on breeding goldfish in captivity.
- Man murders friend for killing goldfish - May 11, 2012
- In cramped space even fishes turn aggressive - Sep 23, 2011
- Now, a Fish n Flush tank for your lavatory! - Mar 20, 2009
- New rules for aquarium owners - Jun 09, 2010
- Jellyfish inspire flexible pumps - Nov 28, 2010
- Hyderabad Pets And Aquarium Expo 2009 declared a huge success - Nov 26, 2009
- Authorities install heating system at Bhopal Fish House - Dec 18, 2010
- UAE warns against selling diseased animals - Feb 12, 2011
- Green-glowing cats are the new tool in AIDS research - Sep 12, 2011
- PETA protests against goldfish racing at bar - Apr 21, 2011
- Jellyfish shut down Scottish n-reactors - Jun 30, 2011
- Microsoft releases Windows 8 Consumer Preview - Mar 01, 2012
- Researchers engineer 'artificial' jellyfish - Jul 23, 2012
- India's first oceanarium to come up in Greater Noida - May 05, 2012
- Box jellyfish have 4 unique eyes to view world above the water! - Apr 30, 2011
Tags: andon, animal control, aquarium tank, aquarium tanks, breeding goldfish, captivity, devastation, filtration system, filtration systems, fish tanks, gerrie, goldfish, inhumane conditions, jellyfish, jellyfishes, new tanks, southeast asia, tropical fish, water creatures, welfare commission