ISRO’s workhorse PSLV does it againApril 20th, 2009 - 10:00 am ICT by IANS
By Venkatachari Jagannathan
Chennai, April 20 (IANS) Out of the 15 satellite launch missions it has flown since 1993, Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) rocket Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) has delivered successful results except for once.
The failure happened on its first developmental flight Sep 20, 1993. After the success of the next two developmental flights there has been no looking back for the 44 metre tall workhorse of the ISRO.
The successful missions resulted in ISRO getting launch orders for small satellites from other countries.
In the international launch arena, PSLV’s addressable market segment is mainly light weight satellites for placement in polar orbit.
Till date, ISRO has launched 16 satellites of other space agencies using PSLV. The heaviest is the 500 kg Italian satellite Agile in 2004 followed by Israeli satellite TecSAR that weighed 300 kg.
The following is the list of ISRO satellites launched so far:
No. Rocket Launch Date
1.PSLV-D1 Sep 20,1993 (The only unsuccessful launch)
2.PSLV-D2 Oct 15, 1994
3.PSLV-D3 March 21,1996
4. PSLV-C1 Sep 29,1997
5.PSLV-C2 May 26,1999
6.PSLV-C3 Oct 22, 2001
7.PSLV-C4 Sep 12, 2002
8.PSLV-C5 Oct 17,2003
9.PSLV-C6 May 5, 2005
10.PSLV-C7 Jan 10,2007
11.PSLV-C8 April 23, 2007
12.PSLV-C10 Jan 21, 2008
13.PSLV-C9 April 28, 2008
14.PSLV-C11 Oct 22, 2008
15.PSLV-C12 April 20, 2009
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- India to ferry heaviest foreign satellite in August - Apr 29, 2012
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian rocket hurls aloft four satellites - Oct 12, 2011
- PM hails Risat-1 launch - Apr 26, 2012
- Indian rocket crosses half century of satellite launches - Oct 12, 2011
- India to launch two foreign satellites mid Sept - Aug 22, 2012
- Manmohan watches as 100th Indian space mission blasts off (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- ISRO's 100th mission a milestone: PM (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian space agency scores a ton, ready for more (Third Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- PM congratulates ISRO - Sep 09, 2012
- Indian space agency scores a perfect 100! (Second Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- India to launch three satellites next month - Aug 03, 2012
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- India successfully puts three satellites into orbit - Apr 20, 2011
Tags: c4, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro, jagannathan, jan 21, launch 2, launch vehicle, march 21, market segment, polar orbit, polar satellite, pslv c5, pslv c6, pslv c7, pslv c8, rocket launch, satellites, space agencies, workhorse