ISRO to send up new communication satellite in 2010November 10th, 2010 - 3:07 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Nov 10 (IANS) The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is expected to close 2010 with the launch of communication satellite GSAT-5P, which will replace the ageing INSAT 2E to ensure continuity of service for telecom and television channel customers.
ISRO is also likely to open the New Year with the launch of Resourcesat-2, an earth observation satellite.
First to escape the earth’s gravity sometime between Dec 10 and 15 will be ISRO’s heavy rocket called the geosynchronous satellite launch vehicle (GSLV) carrying GSAT-5P to replace the ageing INSAT 2E launched in 1999.
“The 2,300-kg satellite with 36 transponders will provide continuity of service to our telecom and television channel customers,” S. Satish, ISRO’s director (publications and public relations), told IANS.
Satish said a small snag that was detected earlier in one of the GSLV rocket’s sub-systems has been set right.
Though ISRO is aiming to send its remote sensing/earth observation satellite Resourcesat-2 before this year on its lighter rocket polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV), officials do not discount the possibility of a launch early next year.
Piggy-backing on it will be two small satellites made in Singapore and Russia.
Remote sensing satellites send back earth pictures and other data for use. India is a major player in vending such data in the global market.
“Resourcesat-2 will be the replacement for Resourcesat-1 launched in 2003. For some time, both will work together,” Satish added.
ISRO this year launched two major satellites - communication satellite GSAT-4 and remote sensing satellite Cartosat-2. While the launch of GSAT-4 failed as the GSLV rocket carrying it plunged into the sea due to engine failure, Cartosat-2 was placed successfully in the orbit.
- India to launch advanced communication satellite Dec 20 - Dec 13, 2010
- ISRO to replace two ageing satellites in December - Sep 23, 2010
- Indian rocket explodes seconds after launch (Intro Night Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- India to launch five satellites by June - Apr 17, 2011
- Tamil Nadu woman behind Thursday's microwave satellite project(Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian rocket mission fails, second this year (Second Intro Night Lead) - Dec 25, 2010
- Countdown for India's advanced satellite launch begins Sunday - Dec 18, 2010
- Indian space agency postpones remote sensing satellite's launch - Feb 24, 2011
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- Countdown for GSAT satellite launch begins - Dec 25, 2010
- GSAT satellite all set for launch (Lead, Changing dateline) - Dec 25, 2010
- Tamil Nadu woman behind satellite launch Thursday - Apr 23, 2012
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- ISRO to launch satellites to boost transponder capacity - Jan 05, 2011
- India to launch three satellites next month - Aug 03, 2012
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,