ISRO stars skip science congressJanuary 5th, 2011 - 9:51 pm ICT by IANS
Chennai, Jan 5 (IANS) Two big guns of the Indian space agency skipped the country’s prestigious science event, the 98th Indian Science Congress.Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) chairman K. Radhakrishnan was supposed to chair the space summit Wednesday at the SRM University campus. He did not turn up.
He was also absent Tuesday at the session on enhancing academia-industry interactions.
Former ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair was to have given a lecture Wedesday evening. He too did not turn up “due to unavoidable circumstances”, according to university officials.
Their absence led to speculation that they may have preferred to avoid public glare after the failure of two major satellite launch missions in 2010.
However, ISRO was adequately represented at the space summit session with the participation of senior officials like T.K. Alex, director of Satellite Centre, R.R. Navalgund, director of Space Applications Centre, and S.V. Kibe from the Satellite Navigation Systems.
- India launching satellite to study tropical climate - Sep 10, 2011
- Scientist resigns over blacklisting of ISRO stalwarts (Lead) - Feb 24, 2012
- Mysore to host international summit on space research - Jul 13, 2012
- India to have own satellite navigation system soon: ISRO - Jan 05, 2011
- Global scientists descend on Mysore for space summit - Jul 14, 2012
- ISRO to release reports on Antrix-Devas deal - Jan 31, 2012
- Nair slams government, ISRO chief for action against him (Intro Roundup) - Jan 26, 2012
- Madhavan Nair takes on government, says ISRO gone to dogs (Lead) - Jan 25, 2012
- A year of satisfactory space missions (2011 in Retrospect) (With images) - Dec 26, 2011
- Swarms of satellites possible: ISRO - Jan 05, 2011
- Nair, three others found responsible for controversial deal - Feb 05, 2012
- ISRO to launch satellites to boost transponder capacity - Jan 05, 2011
- Three women scientists involved in satellite project - Jul 16, 2011
- ISRO bets on satellite navigation for aviation services - Feb 23, 2012
- Tamil Nadu university plans Centre for Space Technology - Oct 10, 2011
Tags: academia industry, applications centre, big guns, indian science congress, indian space research, indian space research organisation, industry interactions, isro chairman, kibe, launch, madhavan, prestigious science, radhakrishnan, satellite centre, satellite navigation systems, science event, space applications, space summit, srm university, unavoidable circumstances