Israel Air Force gets new generation droneFebruary 22nd, 2010 - 3:59 am ICT by IANS
Jerusalem, Feb 22 (IANS) The Israel Air Force has added into its fleet a new generation drone designed to perform versatile operations.
The new unmanned plane “Eitan” which has been put into use is specially designed to perform versatile operations, said Captain Omer, deputy commander of a newly established squadron to operate the new drone.
Equipped with a turbo jet engine, “Eitan” is able to carry various payloads weighing up to hundreds of kilograms, Omer said.
It is able to carry out a variety of missions, including surveillance, reconnaissance and assault. The major mission for the aircraft will be intelligence related, the captain added.
The unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), which has a length of 13 metres and a wingspan of 26 metres, is capable of flying above the altitude of 12,000 metres and at a maximum speed of 240 km per hour, Xinhua reported.
“The launching of this air plane is another substantial landmark in the development of unmanned aerial vehicles,” said IAF Commander Ido Nehoshtan.
- IAF plans to induct more drones in fleet - Feb 04, 2012
- Israel launches massive drone that can fly 20 hrs non-stop to reach Iran - Feb 22, 2010
- Navy commissions UAV squadron in Gujarat - Jan 17, 2011
- Iran to use UAVs to guard its borders - Oct 03, 2011
- DRDO's UAV 'Nishant' completes confirmatory flight trials - Feb 03, 2011
- 'Eternal plane' Zephyr returns to Earth after record 2 weeks - Jul 24, 2010
- Israel's flagship drone crashes during test flight - Jan 30, 2012
- Russia wants strike drone - Apr 02, 2012
- Russia to test first combat drone in 2014 - Apr 20, 2012
- Indian Navy to commission new UAV squadron - Jan 11, 2011
- Nishant UAV successfully tested by army ahead of induction - Feb 03, 2011
- India to develop unmanned combat aerial vehicle - Nov 25, 2009
- Swarm drones may cut military costs, risks - Aug 13, 2012
- Iran to unveil new home-made UAV - Jan 30, 2012
- Belarus to build vertical takeoff drones - Apr 05, 2012
Tags: air plane, altitude, deputy commander, drone, eitan, israel air force, jet engine, kilograms, landmark, maximum speed, new generation, omer, reconnaissance, squadron, turbo jet, unmanned aerial vehicle, unmanned aerial vehicle uav, unmanned aerial vehicles, wingspan, xinhua