ISCA to bring out inspirational videos: PMJune 2nd, 2012 - 5:29 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, June 2 (IANS) The Indian Science Congress Association (ISCA) in its centenary year will bring out inspirational video documentaries and a publication on 100 Indian science discoveries to attract the country’s youth to science and technology, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said here Saturday.
“To motivate young learners, the association will bring out inspirational video documentaries highlighting the history of modern science. We will bring out a well-researched publication on 100 high impact — making discoveries in Indian Science during the last 100 years,” said the prime minister, who was last year elected the general president of ISCA in its centenary year.
Over the course of the year, the government hoped to formulate a new Science and Technology Policy that will update the existing policy document of 2003 in the light of a rapidly changing scientific environment in the country and the world.
The association in addition to its annual session in Kolkata will hold three regional science congresses in the north, west and south of the country.
Special sessions on the use of high technology, renewable energy and public health challenges like malnutrition will be held, emphasising on themes that relate science to integrated rural development.
“We will also launch a Hall of Fame in cyberspace to portray globally the contribution of Indian science,” the prime minister said.
The prime minister proposed that the technical programmes of the Indian Science Congress in Kolkata in January 2013 begin with a special lecture in honour of Ashutosh Mukherjee, who personified the national science movement, that took shape a hundred years ago.
Singh said there was a proposal to set up a a Science Academy for the Young during the centenary year and it would be followed up after due deliberations.
The ISCA centenary session in Kolkata next year will also invite outstanding young scientists under the age of 45 to give lectures to the youth, while a special session will be held for young scientists.
Starting from this year, a special scheme for 100 doctoral research fellowships annually will be launched under a Public Private Partnership between Ministry of Science & Technology and the Confederation of Indian Industries.
To promote science in India’s neighbourhood, the ICSA was considering a proposal to introduce a scheme to invite 25 young scientists from the neighbouring countries to undertake doctoral research in India.
The prime minister hoped the centenary events will be used by the scientific community to ponder on framing a science and technology policy that “reflects our aspiration for making science a spearhead of development in our country”.
The association also aims to increase its financial strength and develop its infrastructure.
“I am happy that efforts are being made to rejuvenate the Indian Science Congress Association through additional building infrastructure and are source mobilisation drive to create a corpus of Rs.150 crore on the occasion of its Centenary Year,” added Singh.
- PM warns against growing intolerance (Roundup) - Jun 02, 2012
- PM warns against growing intolerance - Jun 02, 2012
- Kolkata to host 100th Indian Science Congress in 2013 - Jan 07, 2012
- 99th Indian Science Congress to focus on women, missiles (Lead) - Jan 01, 2012
- India failed to optimally use science and technology: PM - Jun 02, 2012
- PM to inaugurate science congress amid tight security - Jan 03, 2010
- 2,000 papers presented at 97th Indian Science Congress - Jan 07, 2010
- Science congress to draw road map for technology challenges - Jan 02, 2010
- Indian Science Congress begins on upbeat note (Lead) - Jan 03, 2010
- Science congress to start Monday - Jan 02, 2011
- 99th Indian Science Congress to focus on women - Aug 25, 2011
- Brand ambassador for science to attract students? - Mar 15, 2010
- ISC-2011 to focus on science education, planetary exploration - Mar 15, 2010
- New science policy blueprint by September - May 03, 2012
- PM to inaugurate Indian Science Congress Jan 3 - Dec 31, 2010
Tags: hall of fame, indian science congress, integrated rural development, kolkata, manmohan, manmohan singh, modern science, new science, policy document, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, public health challenges, science academy, science and technology policy, science discoveries, science movement, special sessions, video documentaries, young learners, young scientists