Iran tests new satellite rocket (Lead)February 3rd, 2010 - 9:43 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Feb 3 (DPA) Iran Wednesday successfully tested a new locally built satellite rocket named Kavoshgar 3, state-media reported.
President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad also unveiled Wednesday the new domestically produced carrier engine Simorq, which can take a 100-kg satellite into orbit.
The event came on the 31st anniversary of the 1979 Islamic revolution.
“This is a great technological achievement for Iran as now we have the confidence that there is no limit to our technological capabilities,” Ahmadinejad said at the ceremony in Tehran.
“As far as aerospace technology is concerned, we need two more steps and then we can claim that the space is in the hands of Iranian scientists,” the president added.
The range of the new rocket is 500 km to place a satellite into orbit. Ahmadinejad said the range would be increased in coming years to as much as 1,000 km.
The rocket carried a mouse, a turtle and worms, and is supposed to transfer empirical data to earth.
Iran launched its first satellite into orbit in February 2009, propelled by the Safir 2 rocket. Wednesday, it unveiled three new communications satellites, named the Tolou, Mesbah 2 and Navid.
Tehran has rejected Western charges that the country’s aerospace projects had any military aims. It accused western powers of trying to distort Iran’s scientific achievements as aggressive.
The US and Israel said the same technology could be used to carry ballistic missiles, but Iran described the project as an “ultra-modern scientific achievement”.
- Iran tests new satellite rocket - Feb 03, 2010
- Iran plans to send monkey into space - Jun 16, 2011
- Iran to put monkey into space - Apr 20, 2011
- Iran to launch three new satellites - Nov 13, 2011
- Iran to launch new generation of satellites - Feb 06, 2012
- Iran to unveil new space projects - Feb 01, 2010
- Iran ready to send six satellites into space - May 09, 2010
- Iran to launch new satellite in August - Jul 10, 2010
- Iran mulls base to launch bigger satellites - Feb 11, 2012
- Iran launches mew research rocket into space - Feb 04, 2010
- Iran to send monkey into space in August - Jun 27, 2011
- Iran launches first communication satellite - Aug 18, 2008
- Iran plans to send satellite in high Earth orbit - Feb 08, 2009
- Iranian launches its first satellite carrier rocket - Aug 18, 2008
- Iran to set up space launch base - Feb 04, 2012
Tags: aerospace projects, aerospace technology, aims, ballistic missiles, communications satellites, dpa, empirical data, iran, islamic revolution, mahmoud ahmadinejad, navid, new communications, new rocket, orbit, president mahmoud ahmadinejad, technological achievement, technological capabilities, tehran, turtle, worms