Iran says can produce nuclear fuelJanuary 8th, 2011 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, Jan 8 (IANS/RIA Novosti) Tehran is capable of making its own nuclear fuel plates and rods, the head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran said Saturday.”We have built an advanced manufacturing unit at Isfahan for the fuel plates,” the Fars news agency quoted Ali-Akbar Salehi, head of Atomic Energy Organization of Iran as saying.
“A grand transformation has taken place in the production of (nuclear) plates and rods. With the completion of the unit in Isfahan, we are one of the few countries which can produce fuel rods and fuel plates,” he said.
Iran has invited foreign envoys to visit the country’s nuclear sites in “a good-will gesture to further prove the peaceful nature of its nuclear activities”, Salehi said.
Representatives from Russia, China, the European Union, and the Non-Aligned Movement were invited to tour Iran’s nuclear facilities in mid-January.
The West suspects Tehran of pursuing a secret nuclear weapons programme, which Iran strongly denies, insisting it needs atomic energy solely for civilian purposes.
Iran is currently under four sets of UN sanctions over its refusal to suspend uranium enrichment.
- Iran produces 70 kg high-grade enriched uranium - Oct 18, 2011
- Iran claims production of nuke yellowcake - Dec 06, 2010
- EU accepts Iran talks offer - Mar 06, 2012
- Iran accuses US of pressuring IAEA - Nov 06, 2011
- Iran to install fuel rods in n-reactor Wednesday - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Moscow urges Iran to respond to IAEA concerns - Feb 27, 2012
- IAEA report on Parchin void of technical significance: Iran - Aug 31, 2012
- Iranian foreign minister sacked - Dec 13, 2010
- Iran seeks Russian support over N-programme - Apr 13, 2010
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- Iran to speed up uranium enrichment - Jun 13, 2011
- 'Iran has 25 kg of 20 percent enriched uranium' - Aug 27, 2010
- Russia supports Iran's peaceful n-programme: Putin - Jun 07, 2012
Tags: advanced manufacturing, atomic energy organization, civilian purposes, dg, european union, fars news agency, fuel rods, gesture, isfahan, non aligned movement, nuclear activities, nuclear facilities, nuclear fuel, nuclear weapons, peaceful nature, ria novosti, snb, tehran, un sanctions, uranium enrichment