Iran announces plan for new nuclear reactorsApril 13th, 2011 - 1:03 pm ICT by IANS
Tehran, April 13 (IANS/AKI) Iran plans to construct new “four or five” nuclear reactors for medical research, according to state controlled Press TV.
“Iran plans to build four to five new reactors with a capacity of 10-20 megawatts in different provinces within the next few years to produce radio-medicine and perform research,” the report said, citing comments by Fereydoun Abbasi, head of Iran’s nuclear energy agency.
The US, the European Union and the UN last year imposed a fresh round of sanctions on Iran because of worries that it is developing a nuclear arsenal. Iran says its nuclear programme was peaceful.
Iran said its new reactors will be built in different provinces throughout the country, each with a power-generation capacity of 20 megawatts, Abbasi said.
Abbasi also said Iran will build a new uranium enrichment site.
- Iran unveils latest nuclear achievements (Second Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran can produce n-fuel for vessels, submarines: Official - Jul 23, 2012
- Iran enriches 100 kg of Uranium to 20 percent (Lead) - Feb 20, 2012
- IAEA team in Tehran for talks - Feb 20, 2012
- Tests conducted on Iran's n-plant turbines - Aug 24, 2011
- Iran starts uranium enrichment at new n-plant - Jan 09, 2012
- Iran unveils nuclear achievements, cuts oil exports (Lead) - Feb 15, 2012
- Iran's n-plant to reach full capacity in February - Jan 08, 2012
- Iran starts enriching uranium to 20 percent - Jan 10, 2012
- Iran to speed up uranium enrichment - Jun 13, 2011
- Iran arrests suspects over n-scientists' murders - Jun 15, 2012
- 'Iran will not stop high-grade uranium enrichment' - Apr 09, 2012
- Iran willing to talk about nuclear programme: EU - Oct 30, 2010
- Iran not to pursue n-bomb production - May 31, 2012
- Iran produces 70 kg high-grade enriched uranium - Oct 18, 2011
Tags: aki, european union, fereydoun, medical research, medicine, megawatts, nuclear arsenal, nuclear energy agency, nuclear reactors, power generation capacity, radio, sanctions on iran, tehran, tv iran, uranium enrichment, worries