iPhone set to surpass BlackBerry in mobile marketMarch 6th, 2010 - 11:35 am ICT by IANS
Toronto, March 6 (IANS) Apple’s iPhone is set to overtake Research In Motion’s BlackBerry in the global smart phone market by next year, according to Forbes online.
Currently, BlackBerry enjoys about three percent of the world’s mobile phone market, while Apple’s has about two percent share of the market. But BlackBerry’s lead over iPhone is shrinking and Apple will overtake RIM by early next year, Forbes said Friday.
“We expect Apple’s market share to overtake that of RIM by 2011, and for Apple and RIM to have 11 % and 8% market share, respectively, by the end of Trefis forecast period,” the online issue said.
Trefis has been defined as a new financial platform to know how a company’s products impact its stock.
“We believe sales of the iPhone will eventually outpace BlackBerry sales,” Forbes said.
Giving its reasons, Forbes online said, “Apple’s ecosystem of consumer products (Macs, iPad, Apple TV) and services (iTunes, iPhones apps) make the iPhone a more attractive phone for many consumers compared to the BlackBerry.”
” End of AT&T exclusivity will give Apple’s iPhone wider distribution in the US (comparable to BlackBerry distribution).
“iPhone is making inroads with business customers that have traditionally preferred the BlackBerry.”
Both the wireless giants have made big gains since 2007, with iPhone increasing its market share from 0.3 percent to 2 percent, and BlackBerry going up from one percent to about three percent.
The Canadian icon BlackBerry captured the world’s corporate market because of secure messaging.
However, with Apple’s sleek iPhone gaining the consumer market, the numbers game is slowly slipping away from the BlackBerry.
Given Apple’s marketing muscle, online reach and multiple cutting-edge products with synergy, analysts say it is only a matter of time before the iPhone overtakes the BlackBerry in the global smart phone market.
- BlackBerry downgraded on soft Torch sales - May 10, 2011
- Torch 9800 most satisfying smart phone from BlackBerry - Nov 23, 2010
- BlackBerry plans to hit 100-million user base - Apr 28, 2010
- Google's Android outsells iPhone, threatens BlackBerry - May 11, 2010
- BlackBerry stock jumps 5.4 percent as investors return - Dec 01, 2010
- RIM unveils five new BlackBerries - Aug 03, 2011
- Verizon, AT&T; crucial to BlackBerry tablet sales - Apr 22, 2011
- BlackBerry downgraded as stock tanks 14.4 percent - Apr 30, 2011
- Rumours of 'BlackBerry Cyclone' to take on Apple TV - Jul 16, 2011
- BlackBerry maker downgraded as Apple set to unveil iPad2 - Dec 08, 2010
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- BlackBerry stock slips on UAE security concerns - Jul 28, 2010
- BlackBerry stock sinks as new device is no iPhone 4 'killer' - Aug 04, 2010
- Google, RIM are now no match for Apple: Analysts - Oct 21, 2010
- BlackBerry likely to unveil new smart phones next week - Apr 28, 2011
Tags: apple tv, blackberry, business customers, canadian icon, cutting edge products, exclusivity, financial platform, forecast period, inroads, iphone, market share, matter of time, mobile market, mobile phone market, numbers game, research in motion, s market, secure messaging, smart phone, toronto march