Intelligent computer use can save energy costs by 75 dollars each yearNovember 14th, 2007 - 2:37 am ICT by admin
However, care has to be taken that the computer goes into the ’sleep’ mode properly, it said.
Certain applications such as some games and third party software, which run in the background, prevent the computer from going into sleep mode. As such care should be taken to ensure they are completely shut down, the agency said in a statement.
A virtual private network (VPN), if used, should be disconnected when not in use actively, since VPNs can prevent the computer from entering into sleep mode, the statement said.
“Applications such as Wi-Fi antennas and infrared ports, which continually scan can prevent the computer from going into standby mode. Some Web sites will not allow your computer to enter into sleep mode because of active advertisements and banners. Close down all Web pages when you are not viewing them to allow your power management function to work properly,” it said.
“Peripherals, which are plugged into your computer, can also prevent your computer from going into standby or “sleep” mode. Unplug your peripherals when they are not charging or synchronizing. Shut off the printers. They also have a sleep mode that still consumes a significant amount of power,” it added.
The EPA said screensavers also prevented the computer from going into the sleep mode.
It said other things one could do to save energy in computing could include: Increasing the RAM to reduce disk usage; upgrading a CRT desktop monitor to a LCD flat panel monitor, which could account for half the energy; and replacing wireless mice and keyboards with wired counterparts, thus avoiding unnecessary wastage of batteries.
“Reduce what you can; offset what you can’t.’ That’s our motto,” said Steve Offutt, chief operating officer at Carbonfund.org, a non-profit, non-partisan organization dedicated to supporting renewable energy, energy efficiency and reforestation projects globally. (ANI)
- Energy bugs drain smartphone batteries - Jun 14, 2012
- Power-starved Punjab goes for 'green computing' - Feb 28, 2011
- Indian origin scientist develops software to make PCs 'sleep-work' - Jun 25, 2010
- Minimising cellphone power consumption possible - Jan 22, 2012
- Brain restores its energy during sleep - Jun 30, 2010
- 'Sleep talking' PCs use 80 percent less power - Apr 25, 2009
- Lack of sleep can slow you down - Jul 29, 2012
- Spies could use your TV to snoop on you - Mar 18, 2012
- Solar powered energy-harvesting sensor system developed - Feb 10, 2010
- New device could revolutionize computer memory - Jan 21, 2011
- Indian-American helps design energy-saving PCs - Apr 25, 2009
- 'Purified' silicon nudges quantum computing ahead - Jun 11, 2012
- Delhi's BSES launches save power campaign - May 24, 2011
- IBM unveils new virtual desktop solution in India - May 11, 2011
- HCL bags deal from Norway-based Statoil - Feb 13, 2012
Tags: energy costs, flat panel monitor, infrared ports, intelligent computer, lcd flat panel, lcd flat panel monitor, management functions, network vpn, peripherals, power management function, said applications, sleep mode, standby mode, synchronizing, third party software, virtual private network, wastage, wireless mice