Intel unveils new classmate PC for education marketApril 3rd, 2008 - 11:10 pm ICT by admin
Bangalore, April 3 (IANS) World’s largest chip-maker Intel Corporation Thursday unveiled a new version of its classmate PC for global education market with a nine-inch liquid crystal display (LCD) screen, 512 megabyte (MB) memory, a 30 gigabyte (GB) HDD (hard disk drive) storage and an integrated webcam. Showcasing the second-generation classmate PC on the second day of Intel Developer Forum (IDF) being held at Shanghai in China, Intel research director Andrew Chien told delegates that the portable computers termed ‘netbooks’ were built on rugged Internet-centric platform, with wireless capability, longer battery life, water-resistant keyboards and are more shock resistant.
“The new version has been designed to enable manufacturers to make netbooks suited for diverse education needs of parents, teachers and students. Though only five percent of the world’s children have access to a PC or Internet, education is the best field to test how new technology enhances life,” Andrew said.
The Intel-powered classmate PC supports Microsoft Windows XP and variants of the Linux operating environment. With pre-installed education software stack, the netbooks are ideal for classroom-learning environment. Software and content will be made available in eight languages.
“About 80 software and hardware vendors, content providers, educational services providers and local OEMs (original equipment manufacturers) are working with us to develop a new infrastructure that supports the classmate PC. We also plan to build the future classmate PCs with Atom processor, the energy-efficient, low-cost chip designed for small mobile computing devices,” Andrew affirmed.
- Intel to invest $100 mn in car technology innovation - Mar 01, 2012
- Intel ships new Atom processors to PC makers - Dec 29, 2011
- Intel quarterly profit drops - Apr 18, 2012
- Intel to buy McAfee in $7.7-bn deal - Aug 19, 2010
- New eMachines Laptop Unveiled By Acer On Black Friday - Nov 26, 2010
- Intel launches second generation core processors - Jan 06, 2011
- New Macbook Air Comes With Bells And Whistles - Oct 21, 2010
- Microsoft unveils microchip driven Windows version - Jan 07, 2011
- Intel's Sandy Bridge chipset 'to revolutionise PC market' - Sep 14, 2010
- Adopt technology for growth in education : Intel India chief - Sep 27, 2010
- US sues Intel over anti-competitive conduct - Dec 17, 2009
- HP Mini 5103 reviewed - Sep 25, 2010
- Intel opens chip plant in China - Oct 27, 2010
- Apple Unveils iTunes 10.1 With New Features - Nov 16, 2010
- HP unveils tablet - Nov 04, 2011
Tags: andrew chien, chip maker intel, classmate pc, disk drive storage, global education market, hard disk drive, hardware vendors, intel corporation, intel developer forum, intel research, life water, liquid crystal display, mb memory, microsoft windows xp, mobile computing devices, original equipment manufacturers, portable computers, shock resistant, software stack, wireless capability