Intel puts PC in your pocketApril 2nd, 2008 - 11:39 pm ICT by admin
By Praveen Chopra
New York, April 2 (IANS) US chip maker Intel has unveiled a range of wireless internet devices to fill a gap between smart phones and laptops, and to cash in on the success of iPhone of Apple. The California-based company introduced five new Atom processors and processor technology for what it is calling Mobile Internet Devices (MIDs), and embedded computing solutions at a developer event in Shanghai Wednesday.
In a press release, Intel has touted the MID as “Best internet experience in your pocket” and claimed it will have an advantage over makers of chips for cell phones because the Intel version will be highly compatible with the company’s laptop and desktop processors for which most web software is written.
The first generation of Intel’s MID technology is aimed at data, not voice communications, leaving the company out of the market for smart phones such as iPhone.
Yet, Intel executives foresee a proliferation of devices ranging from advanced ultra-compact laptops to small, tablet-size devices that will be used for browsing the web, navigation and internet chat, rather than voice communications.
“What enables the innovation is the ability to bring over all the existing PC applications,” said Anand Chandrasekher, general manager of the company’s Ultra Mobility Group.
Companies introducing products at the Intel event in Shanghai include Fujitsu, Lenovo, Panasonic, Samsung, and Toshiba.
Intel hopes to win with MIDs in China, which already has the world’s largest mobile phone market and therefore influences the rest of the world market.
Manufacturers around the world are planning to ship Intel-based MIDs in June, the company release said.
- Intel ships new Atom processors to PC makers - Dec 29, 2011
- Intel-powered smartphone, tablet to enter market in 2012 - Dec 22, 2011
- Samsung launches ultra notebook series in India - Feb 23, 2012
- Sony unveils smart phones for upward mobile - May 24, 2012
- Gizmos straight out of sci-fi films coming up: Intel - Dec 19, 2010
- Wipro unveils slimmest ultrabook for Indian market - Feb 21, 2012
- Intel chips to power servers for cloud computing - Jul 15, 2011
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Fujitsu, Toshiba to merge cellphone businesses - Jun 17, 2010
- Intel Capital invests Rs.115 crore in 3 Indian tech firms - Mar 25, 2010
- Started with borrowed money, Apple becomes world's No. 1 company - Aug 11, 2011
- Smartphone makers try to outdo each other at MWC - Feb 27, 2012
- Intel launches second generation core processors - Jan 06, 2011
- Chip could open way to lighter laptops, smarter phones - Feb 28, 2011
Tags: chip maker intel, chopra, computing solutions, desktop processors, developer event, group companies, intel executives, intel version, iphone, mobile internet devices, mobile phone market, mobility group, pc applications, praveen, processor technology, smart phones, tablet size, voice communications, web navigation, wireless internet devices