Informal networks can get you ahead at workAugust 15th, 2010 - 5:54 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, Aug 15 (IANS) Rising to the top comes partly from informal networks, not just having friends at the workplace, and it helps if it includes high-status people.
“We need to look at informal professional structures, not formal ones. These are the real sources of inequality,” said Gail McGuire, who conducted the study.
McGuire heads the department of Sociology and Anthropology at the Indiana University, South Bend.
McGuire conducted this research because the informal connections people make at work help in the long run because employees exchange important resources with their network ties, according to a statement of the Indiana University.
McGuire studied one of the largest financial services organisations and evaluated its informal network support.
The financial services organisation is a major employer of women, but women tend to be located in lower-status positions.
The men, who are of a minority at this organisation, occupy higher-ranking positions, McGuire said. “Since men have higher status positions, they are hoarding and monopolising critical resources,” McGuire said.
- Women adept at socializing at work, but have poor networking skills - Aug 15, 2010
- Underdogs might not be so highly motivated after all - Feb 11, 2010
- Better off people have sounder health - Apr 11, 2012
- You can fidget your way to fitness - Jun 29, 2011
- Woman Left On Plane Sues Airline - May 28, 2010
- Air passenger wakes up to find deserted plane - May 28, 2010
- Now Duff set to star in comedy show - Aug 14, 2012
- Can parent's education affect offspring's mental health? - Jan 29, 2012
- Canyon, TX man sentenced for kidnapping a minor - Apr 15, 2010
- Tribals are soft targets for police and rebels: Sociologist Nandini Sundar - Jan 23, 2011
- Hypertension more common among people retiring from low-status jobs - Jun 10, 2009
- 'Green' pesticide effective against citrus pests - Jan 18, 2012
- Inequalities among states affect human development: Study - Jul 15, 2011
- Making waste management fun, Bangalore style (Feature) - Nov 04, 2011
- Mischa Barton's axed show set to return - Nov 18, 2009
Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,