India’s PC market declinesFebruary 15th, 2012 - 3:26 pm ICT by IANS
Mumbai, Feb 15 (IANS) India’s computers market declined 6.5 percent at 2.5 million units for the quarter ended Dec 31 against the like period of the previous financial year, a study by IT research and advisory firm Gartner said Wednesday.
The devices included desk-based as well as mobile personal computers (PC).
“The hard-disk drive (HDD) shortage due to the floods in Thailand significantly impacted the desktop market which declined 18 percent year-on-year in the fourth quarter of 2011,” said Vishal Tripathi, principal research analyst at Gartner.
“White boxes (including parallel import), which accounted for 45 percent of the overall desktop market, registered a 32 percent decline in the quarter compared to Q4 2010. Mobile PCs, with a 12 percent increase from the fourth quarter of 2010, were able to stop a further decline of the PC market,” he added.
The sale was however led by Lenovo and Dell, who recorded 28 percent and 11 percent growth respectively while HP declined 26 percent compared to the fourth quarter of 2010.
Multinational brands contributed more than half of the total PC shipments in the quarter under review with shipments from Dell, Lenovo, HP and Acer representing 53.1 percent of the market.
Dell acquired 15.5 percent market share while Lenovo stood at 13.1 percent. HP and Acer had 12.4 percent and 12.1 percent market share respectively during the quarter under review.
- Inflation affected PC sales in Q1 of 2012 in India: Gartner - May 25, 2012
- Personal Computer sales grow 2.5 percent in April-June - Aug 17, 2011
- India's PC market grew 17 percent in Q2 of 2012 - Aug 28, 2012
- Personal computer market grows 26 percent - Feb 17, 2011
- HP to exit PC business - Aug 19, 2011
- India's computer sales up 33 percent in first quarter - May 23, 2010
- HP to keep PC business - Oct 28, 2011
- Lenovo pips Dell to become world's second largest PC maker - Oct 13, 2011
- HP plans to cut 2,000 more jobs - Sep 11, 2012
- Lenovo rolls out PCs with Windows 7 operating system - Oct 22, 2009
- Computer sales up 7 percent in January-March quarter - Jun 12, 2009
- Computer monitor sales up 17 percent - Nov 29, 2011
- Intel Forecasts Enliven Wall Street, Stock Prices Soar Upwards - Jul 14, 2010
- Lenovo unveils 12 new products, sees double-digit market share - Jun 23, 2010
- HP Acquires Palm Inc, Eyes Smartphone Market - Apr 29, 2010
Tags: 5 million, acer, advisory firm, decline, dell, desktop market, floods in thailand, fourth quarter, gartner, hard disk drive, lenovo, market declines, market share, mobile pcs, multinational brands, parallel import, pc shipments, personal computers, principal research, research analyst