India’s mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mnJanuary 30th, 2012 - 10:16 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Jan 30 (IANS) The number of mobile phone subscribers in India rose to 893.84 million in December with Idea Cellular alone signing 2.39 million new subscribers, official data showed Monday.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the wireless user base grew 1.07 percent with an addition of 9.47 million subscribers, from 884.37 million in November.
With this, the total number of telephone subscribers, including land line holders, touched 926.53 million, registering a growth of 1 percent.
Overall teledensity in India reached 76.86 percent.
However, of the total 893.84 million wireless subscribers, only 646.77 million subscribers were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR).
VLR is a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area, which it serves. Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The total number of subscribers of Idea Cellular stood at 106.38 million. Uninor added 2.13 million subscribers to take its subscribers count to 36.31 million.
Bhart Airtel added 9,60,143 customers taking its subscribers base to 175.65 million while Reliance Communications added 9,48,743 users increasing its subscribers count to 150.08 million susbscribers.
State-owned Bharat Sanchar Nigam Ltd (BSNL) and Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Ltd (MTNL) added 7,50,467 and 34,143 users to have 96.76 million and 5.68 million users respectively.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.3 percent from 13.13 million in November to 13.30 million in December. However, the wireline segment declined marginally from 32.96 million in November to 32.69 million in December.
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mn - Oct 20, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India added 22.62 million mobile users in December - Feb 10, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
- Salient features of Indian telecom sector - Feb 02, 2012
- India's mobile connections at 687.71 million (Lead) - Dec 02, 2010
- Bharti Airtel denies inflating subscriber numbers - Feb 11, 2011
- India's mobile phone users grow to 729.57 million - Jan 25, 2011
Tags: airtel, bhart, bsnl, idea cellular, mahanagar telephone nigam, mahanagar telephone nigam ltd, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, mobile subscriber, mtnl, peak visitor, sanchar nigam ltd, subscriber base, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telephone subscribers, visitor location, vlr, wireless subscribers