India’s mobile subscriber base crosses 865.7 mnOctober 20th, 2011 - 4:31 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Oct 20 (IANS) The number of mobile phone subscribers in India rose to 865.7 million in August with Idea Cellular alone adding 2.33 million subscribers, official data showed Thursday.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI), the wireless user base grew 0.86 percent during the month with an addition of 7.34 million subscribers, from 858.37 million in July.
With this, the total number of telephone subscribers, including landline holders, touched 899.78 million, registering a growth of 0.81 percent.
Overall teledensity in India reached 74.96.
However, of the total 865.71 million wireless subscribers, only 608.63 million subscribers were active subscribers on the date of peak visitor location register (VLR).
VLR is a temporary database of the subscribers who have roamed into the particular area, which it serves. Each base station in the network is served by exactly one VLR, hence a subscriber cannot be present in more than one VLR at a time.
The total number of subscribers of Idea Cellular stood at 98.44 million.
Reliance Communications added 1.28 million users to take its subscribers base to 146 million. Bharti Airtel added 1.15 million subscribers to have a total of 171.85 million users.
Vodafone added 1.13 million subscribers, increasing its subscriber-count to 144.14 million while Uninor added 349,488 million subscribers to have a total of 27.74 million.
According to the data, the broadband subscriber base grew 1.46 percent from 12.5 million in July to 12.69 million in August 2011. However, the wireline segment base declined marginally from 34.18 million in July to 34.07 million at the end of August 2011.
- Tata Teleservices loses 4.4 mn subscribers in November - Jan 09, 2012
- India now has 858.4 million mobile phone subscribers - Sep 09, 2011
- GSM subscribers' usage minutes down 1.45 percent - Nov 09, 2011
- India adds 5.34 mn GSM subscribers in August - Sep 20, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 893.84 mn - Jan 30, 2012
- India's mobile subscriber base crosses 840 mn - Jul 07, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base reaches 919.17 million in March - May 03, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India now has 851.7 mn mobile phones - Aug 08, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 811.59 million - Apr 29, 2011
- India now has 811.59 mn mobile phone subscribers (Lead) - Apr 29, 2011
- India's mobile subscriber base touches 791.38 million - Apr 07, 2011
- India adds 6.5 million GSM subscribers in April - May 25, 2012
- India's mobile subscribers at 771.18 million - Mar 04, 2011
Tags: 5 million, bharti airtel, idea cellular, million subscribers, mobile phone subscribers, mobile subscriber, New Delhi, peak visitor, reliance, subscriber base, subscriber count, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, teledensity in india, telephone subscribers, trai, visitor location, vlr, vodafone, wireless subscribers