Indian telecom industry’s revenue plunges 2.52 percentJune 22nd, 2011 - 10:38 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, June 22 (IANS) Revenues of the Indian telecom equipment industry plunged 2.52 percent at Rs.117,039 crore during the 2010-11 fiscal ended March 31 against Rs.120,069 crore during the previous year, a survey released Wednesday by a telecom industry journal said.
The survey covered over 500 telecom equipment companies in India, spanning carrier equipment, enterprise communication equipment and user device manufacturers.
According to the 16th annual telecom industry survey, by telecom journal CyberMedia, close to half of the telecom equipment revenue came from carrier equipment manufacturers, which saw a dip of 12.12 percent to touch Rs.58,294 crore during the year.
In the previous financial year, the segment registered revenues of Rs 66,332 crore.
The enterprise equipment vertical grew at 0.87 percent to report revenues of Rs.24,023 crore for the same period under review from Rs.23,815 crore in previous financial year.
The user device segment that includes mobile handsets, fixed phones, datacards and tablets, contributed more than one-third to the revenues of the telecom equipment industry at Rs.34,722 crore, recording a growth of 16.04 percent.
Handset manufacturer Nokia had the highest revenue during the year, followed by telecom network equipment majors Cisco, Nokia Siemens Networks and Ericsson, and software firm Wipro. The other players in the top 10 were Samsung, Huawei, Tech Mahindra, TCS and ZTE.
“Riding on the entry into the 3G era, 2010-11 promised to be a great year for the telecom industry but it recorded a negative growth of 2.5 percent to report revenues of Rs.117,039 crore,” said Ibrahim Ahmed, group editor, Voice&Data.;
“The telecom infrastructure industry failed to bag orders in view of the security concerns raised by the government,” he added.
- Indian handsets market reports 5 percent drop in revenues - Jul 09, 2012
- India's telecom equipment industry grew 18.6 percent last fiscal - Jun 10, 2010
- Bharti forays into mobile handset business - Sep 19, 2010
- 'Telecom equipment industry grew 20 percent in 2008-09' - Jun 01, 2009
- Boom in Indian telecom industry to continue - Jun 12, 2011
- Manufacturing ecosystem, uniform tax rate for handsets called for - Nov 02, 2011
- Car exports contribution to national exchequer increases: Patel - Aug 16, 2011
- Heavy equipment imports from China hurting domestic industry: Government - Nov 29, 2011
- Telecom services industry grew 15 percent in 2010-11 - Jul 24, 2011
- Finnish mobile software firm to launch Bangalore operations - Jul 10, 2010
- 3G, broadband wireless access key frontiers of growth: Economic Survey - Feb 25, 2011
- Bharti Airtel quarterly net income down 28 percent (Lead) - May 02, 2012
- Nokia launches Lumia 610 for Rs.12,999 in India - Jul 06, 2012
- Top 20 Indian outsourcing firms grew 13 percent in 2010-11: Report - Aug 19, 2011
- State-run TSL making losses for 20 years - Aug 23, 2011
Tags: carrier equipment, companies in india, crore, datacards, device manufacturers, enterprise communication, enterprise equipment, group editor, huawei, indian telecom, industry survey, infrastructure industry, nokia siemens networks, revenue came from, rs 120, tech mahindra, telecom equipment, telecom industry, telecom infrastructure, telecom network