India to allow entry of mobile virtual network operatorsFebruary 25th, 2009 - 10:14 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 25 (IANS) The government Wednesday said it has accepted the telecom regulator’s proposal to allow companies to offer mobile phone services without owning network infrastructure or spectrum.
The government decision would pave the way for foreign and Indian companies to set up mobile virtual network operators (MVNO) in India which can roll out wireless telecom services by renting spectrum and networks from existing telecom companies.
The regulator, Telecom Regulatory Authority of India, had submitted its proposal in this regard in August 2008.
A statement from the ministry of communications and IT said detailed guidelines for MVNOs would be issued by the Department of Telecom (DoT) after receiving responses from the TRAI on some queries.
- TRAI's reserve price extremely high: CII - May 06, 2012
- DoT now working on broadband spectrum auction - Jul 20, 2011
- Few telecom firms giving 3G services illegally: Petition - Sep 28, 2011
- Panel to give guidelines on prepaid connections - Apr 27, 2012
- Watchdog wants government to cancel more telecom licenses - Jul 15, 2011
- TRAI issues draft guidelines on mobile data services - Jul 11, 2012
- TRAI sticks to high reserve price for spectrum auction - May 14, 2012
- Telecom Commission undecided on mergers, spectrum fee - Dec 02, 2011
- No more pesky calls, messages from Sep 27: TRAI - Sep 05, 2011
- TRAI 2G pricing norms by October-end (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- TDSAT adjourns hearing on 3G roaming till Jan 17 - Jan 09, 2012
- Legal opinion sought on cancelling 83 new telecom licences - Aug 14, 2011
- EGoM to take final call on pricing and refarming of spectrum - May 26, 2012
- Government, 11 telecom firms get court notice on 2G spectrum (Roundup) - Jan 10, 2011
- Telecom Commission seeks clarity on TRAI proposals - Apr 30, 2012
Tags: government decision, mobile phone services, mobile virtual network operators, network infrastructure, New Delhi, proposal, queries, regard, spectrum, telecom companies, telecom regulator, telecom regulatory authority, telecom regulatory authority of india, trai, virtual network, wireless telecom services