India tests its longest-range n-capable missileMay 7th, 2008 - 12:40 pm ICT by admin
Bhadrak (Orissa), May 7 (IANS) India tested its longest-range nuclear capable missile Agni III, that can hit a target 3,000 km away, from a defence base here Wednesday morning, military sources said. The Agni III, which is capable of carrying warheads weighing up to 1.5 tonnes, was tested at exactly 9.56 a.m. from the Inner Wheeler Island at Dhamra, a launch site in Bhadrak district, about 200 km from the state capital Bhubaneswar.
Agni-III, one of the Agni series missiles, is 16 metres in height and weighs 48 tonnes.
This was the third test of the missile, which scientists say has the capability of hitting strategic targets like Beijing and Shanghai deep inside China.
The first test of the missile, labelled China-specific by some experts, from the same defence base on July 9, 2006 was unsuccessful - the second stage of the rocket had failed to separate from the missile quickly and fallen short of its target.
However, the missile, developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), was tested again on April 12, 2007 and was successful.
While Agni-I is a 750-800 km short-range missile, Agni-II has a range of more than 1,500 km. Both have already been inducted in the armed forces.
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-III missile (Second Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- India successfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-III missile (Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- India tests long-range nuclear-capable Agni-III missile - Feb 07, 2010
- Agni-III successfully test fired, ready for induction (Third Lead) - Feb 07, 2010
- N-capable missiles in India's arsenal [To go with India test-fires 5,000 km Agni-V missile, China cautious (Roundup) - Apr 19, 2012
- India successfully tests n-capable Agni-I missile (Lead) - Dec 01, 2011
- India tests nuclear capable Agni-II plus missile - Dec 10, 2010
- India sucessfully tests nuclear-capable Agni-I missile - Nov 25, 2010
- 'Rocket Woman' propels India's missile mission - Nov 21, 2011
- Agni-IV production by 2014 - Nov 16, 2011
- India tests Agni-IV missile with high accuracy - Nov 15, 2011
- No cap on Agni missile project: India - Apr 20, 2012
- India tests n-capable Agni I missile (Lead) - Mar 28, 2010
- India to test 5,000-km intercontinental ballistic missile by year-end - Jun 03, 2011
- Agni-II test fired successfully - May 17, 2010
Tags: agni iii, bhubaneswar, capable missile, defence research, development organisation, drdo, first test, india tests, launch, military sources, missiles, orissa, range missile, second stage, target, third test, tonnes, warheads, wednesday morning, wheeler island