India should aim to produce more Nobel laureates: PM (Lead)August 21st, 2011 - 11:17 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 21 (IANS) India should aim to produce more Nobel laureates, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said Sunday, calling for closer ties between academia and research and greater international collaboration between the country’s research institutes and those overseas.
“Our aim should be to produce more Nobel laureates,” the prime minister said while addressing the concluding session of the diamond jubilee celebrations of the Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics here.
Stressing that the tools for international cooperation in high technology areas have opened up for India, the prime minister exuded confidence that the nation’s scientists would be able to use the opportunities to develop an international temper and outlook.
“There should be greater international collaboration between our research institutes and those of other countries,” he said.
“Research institutes cannot function in isolation. There should be closer ties between academia and industry and a seamless transfer of knowledge should take place from the lab to the shop floor.
“Our government is enhancing this process at all levels,” he added.
- India should aim for more noble laureates: PM - Aug 21, 2011
- India should file more patents, have more Nobels: PM (Roundup) - Aug 21, 2011
- Britain announces 60 new scholarships for Indians - Mar 28, 2012
- PM regrets India's low filing of patents - Aug 21, 2011
- Kolkata will regain its lost glory: PM - Aug 22, 2011
- PM to inaugurate Delhi Sustainable Development Summit Thursday - Feb 01, 2012
- Delhi Sustainable Development Summit to focus on resource protection - Jan 30, 2012
- Manmohan Singh wants Indian scientists to think out of the box - Jan 03, 2011
- Industry, academia can create content for digital network: Sibal - Nov 14, 2011
- India needs its own culture of strategic thought: Ansari - Oct 22, 2011
- Need national leaders from science, engineering: PM - Aug 18, 2012
- Suu Kyi lauds India ties after meeting Manmohan (Second Lead) - May 29, 2012
- India, US to broaden knowledge partnership (Lead) - Oct 14, 2011
- Quicken developing scientific knowledge, says PM (Lead) - Oct 19, 2010
- New thinking needed to save Presidency, say experts - Jul 23, 2011
Tags: academia, aim, celebrations, diamond jubilee, high technology, international collaboration, international cooperation, isolation, manmohan, manmohan singh, nobel laureates, prime minister manmohan, prime minister manmohan singh, research institutes, saha institute of nuclear physics, scientists, seamless transfer, technology areas, temper, ties