India launches spy, education satellitesApril 20th, 2009 - 9:03 am ICT by IANS
By Venkatachari Jagannathan
Sriharikota (Andhra Pradesh), April 20 (IANS) India’s all-weather defence surveillance satellite, radar imaging satellite (RISAT-2), and the micro education satellite Anusat were successfully placed into orbit by an Indian rocket that flew from the spaceport here early Monday morning.
At 6.45 a.m., the Indian Space Research Organisation’s (ISRO) workhorse Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV) soared up in the sky, defying gravity with a deep throated growl, with 340 kg of luggage - 300-kg RISAT and 40-kg Anusat.
After 17 minutes into the flight guided by ISRO developed navigation systems, the 229-tonne rocket slung RISAT at 540-km above the earth and Anusat 10-km futher into its intended cicular orbit two mintues later.
Immediately after their ejections, the Spacecraft Control Centre at Bangalore with the help of ISTRAC network of stations at Bangalore, Lucknow, Mauritius and in other places monitored the satellite’s health.
ISRO chairman G. Madhavan Nair said: “This is a fantastic New Year gift for the country. We are happy. Performance of the vehicle is precise. There is no deviation to the planned flight path. Both the spacecraft being delivered into the orbit.”
He also said that 2009 is going to be the year of fireworks for ISRO. “We ll be launching resourcesat, oceansat and others. Indigenously developed cryogenic engine will be inducted this year.”
- India launches spy and education satellites (Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
- India's spy satellite goes into orbit (Second Lead) - Apr 20, 2009
- India launches five satellites at one go (Second Lead) - Jul 12, 2010
- Manmohan watches as 100th Indian space mission blasts off (Lead) - Sep 09, 2012
- India launches five satellites at one go (Roundup) - Jul 12, 2010
- Tamil Nadu woman behind Thursday's microwave satellite project(Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- PSLV rocket blasts off with three satellites (Lead) - Apr 20, 2011
- Tamil Nadu woman behind satellite launch Thursday - Apr 23, 2012
- India's space odyssey: A timeline (To go with ISRO's 100th mission story) - Sep 09, 2012
- ISRO plans more satellite launches this year - Apr 20, 2011
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- India's remote sensing satellite set for launch - Apr 23, 2012
- ISRO to launch more satellites this year - Jul 12, 2010
- India's spy satellite to be launched in April - Mar 13, 2012
Tags: defence surveillance, defying gravity, early monday morning, flight path, futher, indian rocket, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro chairman, jagannathan, launch vehicle, madhavan, mintues, orbit two, polar satellite, radar imaging, satellite radar, spacecraft control centre, spaceport, surveillance satellite