India eyes supercomputer for accurate weather predictionsFebruary 17th, 2011 - 7:11 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 17 (IANS) The India Meteorological Department (IMD) is planning to acquire an advanced supercomputer to carry out cutting edge research in weather predictions and the future of earth’s climate, Minister of State for Science and Technology Ashwani Kumar said here Thursday. “We have decided to increase the computing capacity of the supercomputer from 70 teraflops (70 trillion floating-point operations per second) to 300 teraflops. This will increase accuracy in predictions for storms, tsunami and climate research,” Kumar told reporters.
He, however, declined to say whether a new supercomputer will be acquired or the capacity of the present one will be upgraded.
He also said discussions are on whether to acquire the supercomputer from abroad or develop it in the country itself. Kumar said the IMD will reach out to 30 lakh farmers across the country by the end of 2011 for providing agricultural forecast.
“As of now, we provide agromet services to 12 lakh farmers and our target for 2011 is 30 lakh farmers and about 5 crore in coming years,” he said.
Farmers Weather Bulletins are issued daily by the IMD’s forecasting offices for broadcast in different regional languages through the All India Radio in its evening programmes.
IMD also provides weather updates to farmers on SMSes free of cost.
- Weather alerts for farmers reap Rs.500 bn dividend! - Aug 05, 2011
- Teraflops for non-flop rain forecast (With 'No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister') - Jul 31, 2011
- India to launch spoken web service for farmers - Jan 13, 2012
- No need to fear drought or flood this year: Earth Sciences Minister (Interview) - Jul 31, 2011
- Japanese scientists claim to have built the world's fastest supercomputer - Jun 20, 2011
- Government mulls weather inputs for farmers - Jul 27, 2011
- GPS technology helps improve weather forecasts - Jun 14, 2012
- India set for better weather forecast with Chinese radars - Oct 20, 2011
- India launches integrated weather forecasting system - Sep 23, 2010
- For agri help, 20 million farmers to dial in - Oct 28, 2011
- An upgrade makes "Jaguar" the world's fastest supercomputer - Nov 21, 2009
- Chinese supercomputer begins operations - Jan 20, 2012
- India, US to work for Evergreen Revolution: Obama - Nov 08, 2010
- Monsoon to hit in four-five days: Minister - Jul 05, 2012
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences open to sharing supercomputer - Jul 30, 2010
Tags: accurate weather predictions, all india radio, ashwani, climate research, crore, cutting edge research, india meteorological department, india meteorological department imd, lakh, minister of state, New Delhi, point operations, regional languages, science and technology, supercomputer, target, teraflops, trillion, weather bulletins, weather updates