India adds 1.7 mn GSM subscribers, Uninor loses 1.1 mn (Lead, Correcting headline)August 16th, 2012 - 9:34 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Aug 16 (IANS) Telecom service provider Uninor lost 1.1 million subscribers even as the country’s GSM subscriber base grew by 0.25 percent in July adding 1.7 million new users, according to data released by Cellular Operators Association of India.
Uninor, the joint venture between Norway’s Telenor and India-based Unitech stands to lose its licenses following the Supreme Court’s orders Feb 2.
Last month, the firm also said it was scaling down operations in four of its 13 active circles to ensure optimal fund utilization and to take part in the 2G auction from a stronger financial position.
It has stopped activation of any new subscribers in the four circles — Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka and Odisha.
The total subscriber base of the firm stood at 44.5 million.
Out of the 1.7 million users added in July, Bharti Airtel signed 1.5 million subscribers taking its total users numbers to 189 million.
The total number of GSM subscribers in the country crossed 679 million as against 677.35 million in June.
Vodafone followed Airtel by adding 1.2 million subscribers for a total of 155 million subscribers.
Idea Cellular added 0.5 million users, taking its subscribers base to 118 million. Aircel added 0.3 million subscribers for a total of 65 million users.
- 1.7 mn GSM subscribers in India, Uninor loses 1.1 mn - Aug 16, 2012
- India adds 7.27 million GSM subscribers in May - Jun 21, 2012
- Smaller operators add customers despite Supreme Court's order - Mar 22, 2012
- India adds 6.5 million GSM subscribers in April - May 25, 2012
- GSM phone subscribers grow 3.25 percent in December - Jan 19, 2011
- India adds 8.44 mn GSM subscribers in January - Feb 24, 2012
- Uninor leads India to 903.73 mn mobile subscribers - Mar 06, 2012
- India adds 6.87 mn GSM subscribers in March - Apr 20, 2012
- Uninor on top as India's GSM base grows 1.15 percent - Nov 21, 2011
- GSM operators add 6.5 mn subscribers in September - Oct 19, 2011
- GSM operators add 6.7 million new users in November - Dec 22, 2011
- India adds 14.5 million GSM subscribers in March - Apr 15, 2011
- India adds 8.58 million GSM subscribers in June - Jul 18, 2011
- India adds 14.7 million GSM subscribers in February - Mar 17, 2011
- Bharti adds 2 mn subscribers in May, India total now 929 mn - Jul 05, 2012
Tags: 1 million, 5 million, aircel, bharti airtel, cellular operators, circles, feb 2, financial position, gsm subscribers, idea cellular, joint venture, karnataka, million subscribers, New Delhi, operators association, subscriber base, telecom service provider, telenor, unitech, vodafone