I’ll be directing very soon: Farhan Akhtar (Interview)February 4th, 2009 - 2:05 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Feb 4 (IANS) He’s acted and he’s sung, he’s written films and is also anchoring a TV show. But now, after successfully impressing with his acting skills in “Rock On!” and “Luck By Chance”, Farhan Akhtar is itching to get back into directing.Farhan, who has been juggling the roles of writer, director, actor, singer, TV host and producer, says he enjoys everything he does but direction is next on the agenda.
“I’ll be directing very soon. Right now I don’t know whether that will be my earlier postponed directorial venture ‘Voice From The Sky’ or not, but direction is on my agenda,” Farhan told IANS over the phone from Mumbai.
He carved a niche for himself with his directorial debut “Dil Chahta Hai” (2001), which along with other honours bagged a National Award too. He later directed “Lakshya” and “Don - The Chase Begins”.
Asked which facet of filmmaking gives him maximum creative satisfaction, he said: “It’s very difficult to pick one thing and say that this gives me the maximum creative satisfaction and I enjoy doing that the most. It is said that every action has an equal and opposite reaction; so I enjoy every action I do.
“When audiences appreciate whatever you do and your skill is respected and spoken about in the industry, it sure feels nice, no matter which skill they are appreciating.”
“Luck By Chance”, which is Zoya Akhtar’s directorial debut, has been received well by critics as well as the audiences and Farhan says he is proud of his elder sister.
“I’m extremely proud of Zoya’s work. I’m happy for her as a brother and as a producer. It’s great to know that the film has received appreciation from all corners and that Zoya’s eye for detail, her writing and the way she has extracted performances from the actors are lauded too,” he said.
Zoya approached many stars for the role that Farhan ultimately played, but they refused it saying that the character had grey shades. Farhan, however, says he had absolutely “no apprehensions playing Vikram Jaisingh” in “Luck By Chance”.
“I was not at all apprehensive about doing the role because, according to me, it’s a very real life-like character. You often see people like him; he is not someone difficult to find. I could very well imagine a person who is like my character; hence there were no doubts in my mind,” said Farhan.
He says his two little daughters Shakya and Akira get extremely excited when they see him on screen.
“The little one is only two years old; so she is quite small to actually give any reaction verbally, but she gets excited when she sees me on the screen. The elder one, who is eight, too feels extremely thrilled when she sees my film. When her friends tell her that they saw me on TV, it makes her very happy,” said Farhan, who recently won the STAR Screen Best Debut Award for “Rock On!”.
Some of his forthcoming films as an actor include “Kartik Calling Kartik”, Abhinay Deo’s untitled film that also stars Abhishek Bachchan and Aishwarya Rai and Reema Kagti’s next.
- Shabana Azmi's brother to direct Farhan Akhtar - Jan 18, 2011
- Sibling power rocks Bollywood (Aug 13 is Rakhi) - Aug 10, 2011
- Male models have short life: Model Sahil Shroff - Nov 23, 2011
- No similarity between 'Zindagi Na...' and 'Dil Chahta Hai': Farhan - May 15, 2011
- From director to actor, role reversal is in - Aug 30, 2012
- Farhan On Male Bonding - Nov 28, 2009
- Salman is a good friend of mine: Katrina Kaif - Jul 13, 2011
- Friends eased pain when parents divorced: Farhan Akhtar (Interview) - Jul 22, 2011
- Farhan wants to work with childhood friend Salman - Dec 03, 2011
- Farhan Akhtar to bond with Hrithik, Abhay in sister's film - Nov 28, 2009
- 'Sweetheart' Neil, 'darling' Sonam! (Movie Snippets) - Jul 07, 2011
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award - Jan 14, 2012
- B-Town wants "Zindagi Na..." to win best film award (Lead) - Jan 14, 2012
- 'Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara', takes male bonding to another level (IANS Hindi Film Review) - Jul 16, 2011
- A hit Bollywood producer reveals his golden rule - Apr 07, 2011
Tags: acting skills, actors, audiences, chase, creative satisfaction, directorial debut, directorial venture, elder sister, equal and opposite reaction, facet, grey shades, honours, lakshya, mumbai, New Delhi, niche, tv host, tv show, writer director, zoya akhtar