‘IIT Mandi to start session from this year’February 3rd, 2009 - 11:18 pm ICT by IANS
Shimla, Feb 3 (IANS) The first session of the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), which will be set up in Himachal Pradesh’s Mandi district, will start this year, Chief Minister Prem Kumar Dhumal Tuesday said.”From this session, the IIT would start holding classes,” Dhumal told reporters at Dharamsala.
He said the central government had sent a communication to the state government in this regard.
“We (the state government) have received an official intimation from the human resource development ministry regarding starting the classes,” he said.
“The government will provide all facilities to start an IIT at a temporary location till necessary infrastructure has been created,” he said.
The government has already identified a piece of land at Kamand village near Mandi town for setting up the institute.
The IIT would admit students in electrical engineering, mechanical engineering and computer science and engineering streams. The central government has sanctioned 40 seats in each stream.
Initially, IIT-Roorkee director S.C. Saxena has been given the additional charge of IIT-Mandi.
The decision to establish an IIT in Himachal was announced by Finance Minister P. Chidambaram while addressing a rally in Shimla on Oct 2, 2007. He also announced the opening of a central university in the hill state.
- Himachal IIT's second session to be held in Mandi - Dec 18, 2009
- First session of IIT-Mandi from this year: Anand Sharma - Feb 24, 2009
- Himachal keen to expand airports - Apr 06, 2012
- Anand Sharma lays foundation of IIT in Mandi - Feb 24, 2009
- Transfer Punjab power plant to Himachal, demands Dhumal - Jul 13, 2012
- Himachal to explore hot springs for power generation - Jan 13, 2012
- Himachal winter session a drain on the exchequer - Dec 17, 2011
- Himachal winter session a drain on the exchequer(Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Himachal may cancel land allotted to Tibetans: Dhumal - Feb 23, 2012
- IIT student held for woman's murder in Shimla - Feb 28, 2010
- Himachal again ignored in rail budget: Prem Dhumal - Mar 14, 2012
- Amount spent on Dalai Lama security shrouded in secrecy - Mar 30, 2011
- Himachal Pradesh Government to build international airport near Shimla - Oct 26, 2010
- Shutdown hits Himachal, chief minister walks to office (Lead) - May 31, 2012
- Himachal to give free net books to 4,000 school toppers - Jul 18, 2012
Tags: central government, chief minister, computer science, development ministry, dharamsala, electrical engineering, finance minister, himachal pradesh, human resource development, indian institute of technology, institute of technology, intimation, mandi district, mechanical engineering, necessary infrastructure, p chidambaram, rally, s c saxena, state government, streams