IIT global alumni meet in Kolkata in December (Lead)August 1st, 2012 - 11:47 pm ICT by IANS
Kolkata, Aug 1 (IANS) Over 3,000 delegates, including policy makers, consultants and planners from both the public and the private sectors would participate in the three-day annual meeting of the global association of Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) alumni starting Dec 7 here.
More than 1,000 overseas participants from the US, Britain, Canada, the Middle East, Singapore and Australia are expected to congregate during the event - christened PanIIT - being held in Kolkata for the first time.
Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal, Infosys founder N.R. Narayana Murthy and Tata Steel Managing Director H.M. Nerurkar, among others, are expected to address the conference. The chief ministers of Goa, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand will also be present.
ITC chairman Y.C.Deveshwar, who is the mentor of PanIIT Global Conference 2012, said it would be a great opportunity for the industry-hungry West Bengal to showcase Kolkata.
Asked whether he felt the government should exploit the opportunity to attract investments, Deveshwar said: “I should imagine. That is my view like I wish all of us should.”
“The people, who are coming from outside, are in the position to influence and that is how you make your pitch. I suppose that since people are coming here and will be spending three days here, it is a big opportunity,” he added.
Sandipan Chakravortty, chairman of the conference, said, “First time the conference will take place in Kolkata. This time it was a natural choice.”
This time the conference will focus on “Resurgence of East”, Chakravortty, the managing director of Tata Steel Processing And Distribution Ltd, said.
- Global IIT meet for first time in Kolkata in December - Aug 01, 2012
- No immediate hike in prices: Tata Steel - Aug 05, 2011
- IIT conclave as part of Vibrant Gujarat summit - Jan 09, 2011
- PanIIT conclave to be held Oct 29-31 - Sep 21, 2010
- Industrialists hail West Bengal's 'historic day' - May 20, 2011
- Tata Steel bags business leadership award - Jan 09, 2012
- President inaugurates PanIIT 2010 conclave - Oct 29, 2010
- Tata Steel Q4 net slips about 90 percent - May 18, 2012
- Tata Steel expects fall in raw material prices - Nov 12, 2011
- Tata Steel to bring European-made products to India - Jul 26, 2012
- Indian mining sector under stress: Tata Steel chief - Aug 21, 2012
- IIT alumni conference in Chennai from Friday - Dec 17, 2008
- IITians to the aid of their short-staffed alma mater - Oct 01, 2009
- Infosys' Murthy pitches for Indians to study in Japan - Feb 27, 2012
- Tata Steel's Jamshedpur plant to be modernised - Aug 05, 2011
Tags: chhattisgarh, chief ministers, development minister, distribution ltd, east singapore, global alumni, global association, global conference, human resource development, indian institute of technology, kapil sibal, kolkata, n r narayana murthy, narayana murthy, natural choice, overseas participants, private sectors, tata steel, time human, west bengal