IGNOU inks deal to extend e-learning in eastJuly 8th, 2009 - 11:13 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, July 8 (IANS) The Indira Gandhi National Open University (IGNOU) Wednesday signed a deal with the government’s Department of Information and Technology to facilitate e-learning in east India’s rural areas and optimise the use of technology to provide education in the region.
IGNOU Vice-Chancellor V.N. Rajashekharan Pillai signed the deal with the IT department’s local facilitator in the east - Srei Shahaj E-Village Ltd - at a function at the India Habitat Centre here.
“This is an initiative to tie our educational services to the 100,000 odd ‘Common Service Sundays’ centres of the IT department spread in the country, which provide weekly access to ICT (information communication technology) and internet to people from rural areas. This technology should be optimally utilised and linking IGNOU’s facilities is a step toward that,” Pillai told IANS.
The e-learning programmes that will be linked to the centres include IGNOU’s certificate programmes in agriculture, rural development, farming practices, community radio as well as organic farming.
“In addition to the Sundays Centres, people will also be given access to what I like to call ‘Virtual Study Sundays’,” Pillai said.
The educational programmes will be coordinated by IGNOU’s local counsellors who will provide online academic material as well as counselling to the people in their subject of study, the vice-chancellor said.
“We are also in the process of tying up with other agencies of the IT Department like Srei Sahaj,” he added.
- e-village programme eases rural people's lives - Jul 17, 2011
- IGNOU to make 100 mn rural youths computer literate (Lead) - Feb 22, 2010
- IGNOU launches online vocational courses for rural India - Feb 22, 2010
- 'IGNOU at par with international institutions' - Jan 01, 2011
- IGNOU to spread e-literacy at grassroots level - Jul 26, 2011
- IGNOU to empower the less privileged - Aug 05, 2011
- IGNOU collaborates on Unique Identification Numbers project - Oct 28, 2010
- IGNOU mulls new initiatives to expand reach - Apr 19, 2011
- Srei Sahaj joins hands with State Bank of India - Mar 15, 2010
- Sibal stresses on spreading distance education - Apr 02, 2011
- IGNOU to partner with US community colleges - Aug 21, 2011
- IGNOU to extend education to disabled - Mar 15, 2010
- IGNOU to award skill-recognition degrees to Indian Navy sailors - Jun 24, 2011
- IGNOU to offer courses on traditional knowledge systems - Jul 12, 2011
- IGNOU plans ICT education cluster for five countries - Mar 28, 2010
Tags: academic material, agriculture rural development, common service, community radio, counsellors, e village, east india, farming practices, india habitat centre, indira gandhi, indira gandhi national open university, information and technology, information communication technology, national open university, organic farming, pillai, sahaj, srei, vice chancellor, virtual study