ICT key to combat climate change, say expertsDecember 22nd, 2011 - 9:04 pm ICT by IANS
New Delhi, Dec 22 (IANS) Information and communications technology (ICT) can play a major role in combating climate change by encouraging adoption of green practices, experts said Thursday.
“ICT could help in combating climate change, by encouraging, adopting green practices and developing of more energy efficient devices, applications and networks. ICT can be a key enabler which can promote growth by a low carbon economy,” said R.K Pachauri, director-general of The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI).
He was speaking after releasing a report on “Sustainable Tomorrow: Harnessing ICT Potential”, a joint effort by TERI’s Business Council for Sustainable Development (BCSD) and The National Association of Software and Services Companies (NASSCOM).
“The report is just a step forward, with a rapid growth of ICT sector makes it imperative that in future, it needs to run in an energy efficient manner,” he added.
The experts participating in the event said that the ICT sector is adapting more energy efficient practices like energy efficient cooling, green data centres and e-waste disposal.
Meanwhile, NASSCOM president Som Mittal said that the report recognises the potential of ICT sector an effective tool to combat climate change.
The report emphasises the role played by ICT in reducing India’s energy requirements by encouraging practices that promote a healthier environment without impeding the economic growth, he added.
- 'ICT can reduce 10 percent of greenhouse gas emissions' - Dec 14, 2010
- Innovations needed for sustainable farming, say experts - Jun 02, 2012
- Pachauri backs green building technologies - Jan 16, 2012
- Experts look at positives of Rio Earth Summit - Jul 02, 2012
- India's spending on green IT to double by 2015, says report - Sep 19, 2011
- TERI's Pachauri gets Mexican humanitarian award - Jun 18, 2012
- TERI to open centre in Himachal - Feb 09, 2012
- G-20 Summit Declaration - Jun 20, 2012
- Abhishek to receive award from Arnie - Feb 01, 2012
- Himachal to propose 'green budget': Dhumal - Sep 11, 2012
- India's Ajay Mathur among energy-efficiency 'visionaries' - May 12, 2010
- International summit to discuss water resource management - Apr 12, 2011
- India should scale up green technologies: UNIDO chief (Interview) - Feb 05, 2012
- National Policy on IT approved - Sep 21, 2012
- Delhi to make 100 existing buildings greener - Oct 12, 2009
Tags: adoption, bcsd, business council, carbon economy, combating climate change, communications technology, director general, economic growth, enabler, energy requirements, India, joint effort, mittal, New Delhi, rapid growth, resources institute, sustainable development, sustainable tomorrow, waste disposal