Hypersonic jets that fly at five times the speed of soundNovember 5th, 2010 - 6:34 pm ICT by IANS
London, Nov 5 (IANS) NASA is planning to build hypersonic jets that would travel at five times the speed of sound and bring in a new age of aircraft.
It would reduce the flight time from New York to Sydney from the current 21 hours to two-and-a-half hours.
The project is thought to be aimed at making a reusable aircraft that could fly to Mars but, as with previous space technology, it could hugely impact passenger transport too, reports the Daily Mail.
Under the NASA Aeronautics 2010 proposal, the US space agency will allocate $5 million per year for the next three years to make the new aircraft a reality.
The aim is to create something which can carry passengers through the atmosphere, descend and land safely before being reused.
“Space access launch vehicles must be lightweight, fully reusable and easily maintained if low-cost access to space is to be achieved,” the proposal says.
Hypersonic aircraft is still a fairly new concept and follows on from Concorde, which flew at Mach 2, or twice the speed of sound. A hypersonic aircraft would reach Mach 5, or five times the speed of sound.
In June this year an experimental scramjet aircraft set a record for hypersonic flight, blazing through the air for more than three minutes at Mach 6, or more than 4,500 mph.
- Soon: 'Hypersonic' passenger jets that travel at 5 times the speed of sound - Nov 05, 2010
- Hypersonic Plane Fails Mach 6 Attempt - Aug 17, 2012
- Unmanned US hypersonic craft fails - Aug 16, 2012
- Soon, fly from Oz to NYC in 12 mins flat or soar like a bird in see-through craft! - Sep 24, 2010
- Pioneering American Jet Demolishes Earlier Hypersonic Flight Record And Establishes A New Record - May 28, 2010
- Jet Breaks Hypersonic Record: X 51A Waverider Reaches Mach 6 Speed - May 28, 2010
- US's hypersonic Falcon missile test a dud? - Apr 27, 2010
- India-Russia JV to fund hypersonic missile project - Aug 17, 2011
- US jet shatters hypersonic flight record - May 28, 2010
- Joint Russia-India missile to be ready by 2017 - Jun 28, 2012
- Work on BrahMos' hypersonic version on - Oct 10, 2011
- India tests cheaper rocket to reduce launch vehicle cost - Mar 04, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon (Lead) - Mar 31, 2012
- Soon, supersonic plane that can dampen sonic booms - Jul 01, 2010
- Army to order mountain-strike BrahMos regiment soon - Mar 31, 2012
Tags: 5 million, concorde, daily mail, hypersonic aircraft, jets, launch vehicles, mach 2, mach 5, mach 6, nasa, nasa aeronautics, new aircraft, nov 5, passenger transport, scramjet, space technology, speed of sound, three minutes, two and a half hours, us space agency