Hyderabad foundation gets $100,000 grant for polio vaccineMay 10th, 2012 - 2:15 pm ICT by IANS
Hyderabad, May 10 (IANS) Ella Foundation has won a $100,000 Grand Challenges Explorations (GCE) grant from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to develop a virus against polio after the phasing out of the oral poliovirus (OPV) vaccine, the Hyderabad-based scientific research group said Thursday.
“Such a vaccine could carry the beneficial effects of an oral polio vaccine - namely safety, efficacy, ease of manufacture, distribution and administration along with the safety profile of an injectable polio vaccine by eliminating vaccine derived polio virus (VDPV),” said a statement from Ella Foundation.
“Vaccines play a crucial role in the eradication of diseases that affect millions of lives worldwide. The grant will help us accelerate the pace of research programmes and explore new solutions in global health priority areas,” said Krishna Ella, co-founder of the Ella Foundation.
GCE funds individuals worldwide to explore ideas that help solve persistent global health and development challenges.
It is a $100 million initiative funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Launched in 2008, over 600 people in 45 countries have received GCE grants.
Located in Genome Valley in Hyderabad, Ella Foundation - founded by Krishna Ella and Suchitra Ella - is an independent scientific and industrial research organisation. Set up in 2002, its research activities focus on infectious diseases.
- Indian firm joins Nigeria's polio battle (With Images) - Feb 23, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains - Jan 11, 2012
- A year of no polio: India triumphs, but risks remains (Lead) - Jan 11, 2012
- US firm gets $220 mn Gates grant to combat TB - Mar 15, 2012
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation to focus on drugs, vaccine research - Mar 24, 2011
- Bill Gates lauds India's polio eradication drive - Jan 10, 2012
- A new 'Gate-way' for India's Africa diplomacy - May 31, 2012
- Gates praises India for containing polio - May 31, 2012
- Football fans, clubs to rally against polio in India - Jul 29, 2011
- Bill Gates to visit India this week - Mar 21, 2011
- Bill Gates to meet Akhilesh - May 29, 2012
- Universal flu vaccine shows promise - Jun 08, 2011
- Bill, Melinda Gates meet Health Minister Azad, discuss issues relating to polio vaccination - Mar 22, 2011
- Polio may be eradicated from India in two-three years: Gates - Mar 24, 2011
- First vaccine against kala azar ready for trial - Feb 22, 2012
Tags: beneficial effects, bill and melinda gates, bill and melinda gates foundation, development challenges, global health, grand challenges, health and development, health priority areas, industrial research organisation, infectious diseases, melinda gates foundation, new solutions, oral polio vaccine, polio, polio virus, poliovirus, research activities focus, safety efficacy, safety profile, suchitra