Human settlement possible in moon’s deep hole?January 3rd, 2010 - 8:03 pm ICT by IANS
London, Jan 3 (IANS) A deep, giant hole on the moon could be suitable enough for setting up human colonies, say scientists who have recently discovered the protected “lava tube” on the lunar surface.
In a major discovery, geophysicists identified a vertical hole in the volcanic Marius Hills region on the moon’s near side.
The dark pit is 213-feet wide and is estimated to be more than 260-feet deep, the CNN quoted from the findings published in Geophysical Research Letters, a journal of the American Geophysical Union.
A thin sheet of lava protects the hole from the moon’s harsh temperatures and meteorite strikes and makes the tube suitable for further exploration or possible inhabitation.
Lava tubes have previously been discovered on the moon but scientists say the new hole is notable because of its lava shield and because it does not appear to be prone to collapse.
“Lunar lava tubes are a potentially important location for a future lunar base, whether for local exploration and development or as an outpost to serve exploration beyond the Moon,” writes the team, led by Junichi Haruyama, a senior researcher with the Japanese space agency JAXA.
“Any intact lava tube could serve as a shelter from the severe environment of the lunar surface, with its meteorite impacts, high-energy UV radiation and energetic particles, and extreme diurnal temperature variations.”
The research was carried out using high-resolution images from a Japanese moon orbiter called SELENE.
According to the CNN, NASA has plans to return to the moon by 2020 and to set up a temporary lunar colony by 2025 as part of the Constellation Program.
- Hole in Moon may serve as lunar base for astronauts - Jan 01, 2010
- Water may be trapped in lunar potholes, suggest scientists - Apr 04, 2011
- Lunar surface may be dotted with hidden, habitable tunnels - Jul 18, 2010
- 'India's lunar mission found moon alive & kicking' - Jul 16, 2012
- NASA's LRO creates Moon's most precise landscape yet - Dec 18, 2010
- Tests identify Earth as moon's sole parent - Mar 30, 2012
- 'Lunar bridge' discovered on far side of Moon - Sep 09, 2010
- Moon's thin 'perfume' comes from the Sun! - Jan 09, 2010
- China's moon rover to run on nuclear power - Aug 13, 2012
- Geologists uncover how meteorites struck moon - Jan 24, 2012
- China to get lunar soil - Mar 16, 2012
- Researchers create most comprehensive moon map - Dec 20, 2010
- Water discovered in Apollo moon rocks - Mar 10, 2010
- New type of lunar volcano discovered - Sep 20, 2010
- Nanoparticles can solve mystery of Moon's topsoil - Jun 13, 2012
Tags: american geophysical union, cnn, dark pit, diurnal temperature, energetic particles, geophysical research letters, high resolution images, human colonies, intact lava tube, japanese space agency, lava shield, london jan, lunar colony, lunar lava tubes, marius hills, meteorite impacts, meteorite strikes, temperature variations, uv radiation, vertical hole