Huge solar storm in 2012 could affect US for monthsAugust 19th, 2010 - 12:19 am ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, Aug 18 (THAINDIAN NEWS) NASA has confirmed that they are expecting a huge solar storm in 2012 and there are reports that the after-effects of the devastating storm could be so worse that US could be shut down for months on end.
The solar storm is expected to make a huge dent in the electrical and telecommunications systems, thus affecting US and the whole world in general. Industry experts are fearful about what the solar storm would bring in its wake and how much time would be needed for the country to fully recover from it.
According to Space.com “In early September in 1859, telegraph wires suddenly shorted out in the United States and Europe, igniting widespread fires. Colorful aurora, normally visible only in polar regions, were seen as far south as Rome and Hawaii.”
NASA scientists also said that they are worried about the impact of the storm on the satellites and fear that the space stations could be wiped out for good because of it. Even though the storm is expected to last for just 2 days, but the devastation and the havoc that it would cause is already giving the creeps to many people.
- NASA: Solar storm in 2012 could cause havoc on Earth - Aug 17, 2010
- Solar flare to 'paralyse Earth' in just 3 years' time - Sep 21, 2010
- NASA Warns Solar Storms of 2012 Can Shut Down US for Months! - Aug 17, 2010
- Solar Storm In 2012 : Reports NASA - Aug 17, 2010
- Intense solar activity in 2012 will trip mobile phones, GPS - Dec 12, 2010
- Massive solar storm to hit Earth in 2012 with 'force of 100m bombs' - Aug 26, 2010
- Freak solar storm could hit London Olympics - Jan 07, 2011
- Solar Tsunami From The Sun Likely To Hit Earth? - Aug 04, 2010
- Leading NASA Scientists Issue A Warning About A Solar Space Storm - Jun 25, 2010
- Solar tsunami from Sun may hit Earth on Tuesday - Aug 03, 2010
- Solar Storm Warning Issued By NASA Scientists - Jun 25, 2010
- Scientist urges 'to take risk of a global Katrina seriously' - Feb 28, 2011
- 'Solar tsunami' offers new clues about sun - Dec 15, 2010
- Indian scientist concerned over effect of solar storm on earth - Aug 10, 2010
- California Reels Under Record Rainfall, Flooding - Dec 23, 2010
Tags: aurora, devastation, early september, europe, far south, fear, fires, havoc, hawaii, industry experts, nasa, nasa scientists, polar regions, rome, satellites, solar storm, space stations, telecommunications systems, telegraph wires, united states