Herpes virus likely trigger for pregnancy hypertensionFebruary 18th, 2008 - 5:42 pm ICT by admin
Sydney, Feb 18 (IANS) Viral infection has a bearing on high blood pressure in pregnant women, says a new study that makes the connection between the two for the first time. The study, by researchers at the University of Adelaide, notes that pregnancy hypertension, left untreated, can trigger epileptic fits, claiming the lives of both the baby and the mother.
It is the cause of significant maternal deaths in developing countries, says the study, whose findings have been published in the latest issue of the British Journal of Obstetrics & Gynaecology.
The study, which co-related, for the first time, viral infection (viruses of herpes group) with pregnancy-induced hypertensive disease (pre-eclampsia) and pre-term birth, detected the presence of viral nucleic acid in blood samples taken from 1,326 newborn babies.
More than 400 of these babies were diagnosed with cerebral palsy.
“Further studies are now required to look at the link between viral exposure in pregnancy and genetic susceptibility to adverse pregnancy outcomes, such as high blood pressure, premature delivery and cerebral palsy,” said Alastair MacLennan, who headed the research group.
- Herpis virus linked to hypertension, pre-term birth - Feb 18, 2008
- Urine test can predict fatal condition in pregnant women - Nov 13, 2011
- World's tiniest premature babies doing well - Dec 12, 2011
- Clue to early diagnosis of pregnancy-related disease - May 16, 2012
- Marijuana doubles premature birth risk - Jul 19, 2012
- Novel approach offers new insights into causes of pre-eclampsia - Oct 07, 2010
- Early urinary protein test during pregnancy predicts later pre-eclampsia - Nov 25, 2010
- Daily dose of aspirin 'could help pregnant women' - Aug 25, 2010
- Faithful mums have healthier kids - Nov 13, 2009
- Warring placenta, uterus trigger preeclampsia - Oct 11, 2011
- Premature births leading cause of infant deaths - Feb 11, 2010
- Life-saving test developed for pregnant women - Dec 24, 2010
- Pregnant women with high blood pressure risk future complications - Jan 30, 2009
- Soon, simple blood test to predict preeclampsia in early pregnancy - Sep 14, 2010
- Mechanism that causes high blood pressure uncovered - Oct 07, 2010