Herbal extract effective against pancreatic cancerApril 20th, 2009 - 4:18 pm ICT by IANS
Washington, April 20 (IANS) A herb that kills pancreatic cancer cells can also halt pancreatic cancer from developing, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
Thymoquinone, the major constituent of the oil extract from a middle-eastern herbal seed called Nigella sativa, reduced the release of inflammatory mediators in pancreatic cancer cells, according to Hwyda Arafat, associate professor of surgery, Jefferson Medical College (JMC).
Nigella sativa seeds and oil are used in traditional medicine in the Middle East and in other parts of Asia, for treating some immunity and inflammatory disorders, Arafat said. Previous studies have also shown it to have anti-cancer effects on prostate and colon cancers, said a Jefferson release.
“These are very exciting and novel results,” Arafat said. “Not only patients with chronic pancreatitis could benefit from this, but also several other groups with risk of development or recurrence of pancreatic cancer, such as high-risk family members and post-surgical patients.
“More importantly, the herb and oil are safe when used moderately, and have been used for thousands of years without reported toxic effects,” she said.
- Herbal extract inhibits pancreatic cancer development - Apr 20, 2009
- Traditional herbal medicine may help fight pancreatic cancer - May 20, 2008
- New biomarker may help predict pancreatic cancer risk in the obese - Feb 04, 2010
- Personalized cancer medicine now a step closer to reality - Apr 16, 2011
- Cell killer enzyme could help cancer treatment - Mar 06, 2011
- Turmeric 'the right spice' to fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Beehive extract may arrest prostate cancer - May 06, 2012
- Turmeric can fight colon cancer - Mar 03, 2011
- Turmeric lowers heart attack risk post surgery - Apr 16, 2012
- Widely used arthritis pill shows promise against skin cancer - Dec 03, 2010
- DNA damage can help protect the body from infection - Apr 01, 2011
- New aspirin curbs 11 kinds of cancer, shrinks tumours - Mar 09, 2012
- How cancer 'eats patients alive' - Sep 05, 2010
- Ancient Chinese herbal recipe eases chemo's side effects - Aug 19, 2010
- NSAIDs prevent colon cancer by causing stem cells to self-destruct - Nov 02, 2010
Tags: arafat, cancer cells, cancer effects, chronic pancreatitis, colon cancers, constituent, herbal extract, high risk, immunity, inflammatory disorders, inflammatory mediators, jefferson medical college, jmc, nigella sativa seeds, novel results, pancreatic cancer, recurrence, surgical patients, toxic effects, traditional medicine