Has the ‘God Particle’ been found?April 26th, 2011 - 11:55 pm ICT by Aishwarya Bhatt
New York, April 26 (THAINDIAN NEWS) A leaked memo which ended up on the Internet has raised the hopes of scientists that ‘God particle’ might exist after all. The subatomic particle which is also named Higgs boson has eluded scientists for years.
The memo has been confirmed as genuine by scientists from the European Organization for Nuclear Research(CERN) but they say it is too early to conclude on anything regarding the existence of the ‘God particle.’ Though the subatomic particle’s existence has not yet been confirmed, some scientists say it is responsible for the mass of all other particles in the world.
The leaked memo is believed to be an internal note from Geneva, Switzerland where scientists are currently working on the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) project. The project involves colliding particles together at extremely high speed so that its constituent particles can be examined. There are several theories in physics regarding the existence of some particles but in reality they have not been proven. Scientists hope to be able to finally prove the existence of those particles with the LHC.
The leaked note which was posted on the blog of Peter Woit of Columbia University suggests that scientists might have discovered the elusive Higgs boson. Other scientists at CERN say the note might just express the opinion of the scientist who wrote it.
- Has the 'Big Bang' machine detected the elusive 'God particle'? - Apr 23, 2011
- God Particle's discovery 'biggest leap in physics' (Roundup) - Jul 05, 2012
- Indian scientists dismiss reports on 'god particle' - May 01, 2011
- Large Hadron Collider sets new beam intensity record - Apr 23, 2011
- God particle may not exist after all, say experts - Aug 23, 2011
- Scientists claim discovery of Higgs boson-like particle (Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- 'God particle' mystery to be solved by 2012 - May 18, 2011
- New particle found, could unravel secret of universe (Second Lead) - Jul 05, 2012
- LHC could prove 'God Particle' theory within 2 yrs: Experts - Feb 22, 2011
- Scientists claim Large Hadron Collider could unlock secret of time travel - Mar 21, 2011
- Post Higgs, Cern turns spotlight on dark matter - Jul 08, 2012
- Boffins inch closer to discovering elusive "God particle" - Jul 27, 2010
- Saha Institute to take up boson naming case with CERN - Sep 01, 2012
- After particle discovery, spotlight on Satyendra Nath Bose - Jul 05, 2012
- Can Hadron Collider be world's first time machine? - Mar 17, 2011
Tags: blog, cern, columbia university, constituent particles, european organization, existence, geneva switzerland, god particle, hadron collider, higgs boson, high speed, large hadron, lhc, nuclear research, peter woit, scientist, scientists, subatomic particle, theories in physics