Half a billion Android devices activated: GoogleSeptember 13th, 2012 - 2:17 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Sep 13 (IANS) Google Wednesday announced that 500 million devices running on its Android operating system have been activated so far.
“Today is a big day for Android… 500 million devices activated globally, over 1.3 million added every single day,” Hugo Bara, Google Android’s director of product management, said in a Google+ post.
In June, Google said 400 million Android devices had been activated and the rate was 1 million per day, reported Xinhua.
Google announced the milestone just before Apple unveiled iPhone 5.
The latest smartphone from Apple features a bigger screen and support for LTE network, both of which have been available on smartphones using Android system for more than a year.
According to latest data from research firm IDC, there were four Android phones for every iPhone shipped during the second quarter of this year. It is up from a ratio of 2.5 to 1 during the same period last year.
- Android, iOS power 85 percent of smartphones shipped - Aug 09, 2012
- Apple's market share growth pauses - Aug 15, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Intel-powered smartphone, tablet to enter market in 2012 - Dec 22, 2011
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- iPhone 4S sales top 4 mn in first weekend: Apple - Oct 18, 2011
- Apple beats Google in US smartphone market - Jan 26, 2012
- Apple, Google, RIM neck-and-neck in smart phone market - Mar 04, 2011
- Apple unveils slimmer, lighter iPhone 5 - Sep 13, 2012
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7 to go on sale from 1st of March - Feb 29, 2012
- Android overtakes Symbian as world's most popular smartphone OS - Feb 02, 2011
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Android phones more popular than iPhones - Oct 13, 2010
- Apple iPhone 5 is slimmer, lighter (Lead) - Sep 13, 2012