HAL makes rocket fuel tank for ISROJuly 19th, 2012 - 6:18 pm ICT by IANS
Bangalore, July 19 (IANS) Stat-run defence behemoth Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd (HAL) has designed and built an indigenous fourth stage rocket fuel tank for the Indian space agency, helping it to save foreign exchange.
“We have delivered the fuel tank (propellant) to the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) for use in its polar satellite launch vehicle (PSLV). The indigenisation effort has resulted in saving of Rs.1.2 crore in foreign exchange,” HAL chairman R.K. Tyagi said in a statement here Thursday.
A propellant tank is a pressurised vessel where liquid fuels are stored for firing a rocket into the space orbit. It is made of composite materials such as aluminium alloy, steel and carbon fibre.
“The fourth stage fuel tank has been built to carry 1.6 tonne of liquid propellant mono-methyl hydrazine as fuel and mixed oxides of nitrogen as oxidizer during the flight,” Tyagi said.
The aerospace major built the tank and its components while the space agency’s liquid propulsion centre at Mahendragiri in southern Tamil Nadu did the welding work.
The indigenisation of the fuel tank has been achieved by the coordinated efforts of HAL, ISRO and other state-run Bharat Heavy Plate and Vessels (BHPV) and Midhani, which are based at Vishakapatnam and Hyderabad.
- Indian remote sensing satellite set for launch (Lead) - Apr 23, 2012
- India's remote sensing satellite set for launch - Apr 23, 2012
- Indian rocket launch countdown makes smooth progress - Oct 11, 2011
- Countdown starts for Friday rocket launch - Jul 13, 2011
- Indian rocket hurls aloft four satellites - Oct 12, 2011
- Countdown begins for India's 100th space mission - Sep 08, 2012
- Indian rocket engine test successful - May 13, 2012
- Indian rocket being fuelled for Risat-1 launch - Apr 25, 2012
- Indigenous space engine test Saturday - May 11, 2012
- ISRO successfully tests propellants system of GSLV-M III - Sep 09, 2010
- Countdown starts for PSLV rocket launch - Jul 10, 2010
- Indian rocket crosses half century of satellite launches - Oct 12, 2011
- India's ambitious GSLV-D3 launch fails - Apr 15, 2010
- Count down for 100th Indian rocket launch begins Friday morning - Sep 06, 2012
- Risat-1 catapults India into a select group of nations (Second Lead) - Apr 26, 2012
Tags: alloy steel, aluminium alloy, behemoth, bhpv, fuel tank, indian space research, indian space research organisation, isro bangalore, launch vehicle, liquid fuels, liquid propellant, liquid propulsion, mono methyl hydrazine, oxides of nitrogen, polar satellite, rocket fuel, southern tamil nadu, stage rocket, tyagi, vishakapatnam