Gujarat day celebrated with e-connectivity initiativeMay 2nd, 2008 - 12:46 am ICT by admin
Amreli (Gujarat), May 1 (IANS) Gujarat celebrated its 49th foundation day Thursday with Chief Minister Narendra Modi announcing e-connectivity to all 590 village councils in Amreli district of Saurashtra region. “Gujarat is the only state in Asia to have such a network,” Modi said at a function here while dedicating the first ever ‘e-gram district’ of the country.
As many as 207 village community service centres have started operations, Modi said adding e-connectivity has played a revolutionary role in the agriculture economy and rural life.
He interacted with villagers through video-conferencing and released a Google Gujarati page by common service centre ‘E-Gram Vishwagram Society’.
“The Google search page in Gujarati will establish the glory of Gujarat and our mother tongue,” Modi said.
During the dialogue with women, the chief minister said technology is a powerful medium for rural youth and it would be instrumental for their development.
“E-connectivity will provide copies of 7/12, 8-A (kinds of land documents) online apart from other services,” Panchayat Minister Narottambhai Patel said.
Principal Secretary Varesh Sinha spoke about the planning and achievements in e-governance. As many as 13,693 panchayats or village councils have computers and sarpanch and village secretaries are trained to operate computers, he said.
The foundation day celebrations began in Amreli, about 300 km from Ahmedabad, with Modi garlanding a statue of Jivraj Mehta, the state’s first chief minister who hailed from this town.
- Gujarat to host Indo-Asian IT meet in 2011 - Mar 08, 2010
- All Punjab villages to have 'E-gram' services by December - Aug 04, 2010
- e-broadcast pilot project launched in Gujarat - May 06, 2011
- 3,000 'suvidha' centres to be set up in Punjab villages - Jun 04, 2010
- All Gujarat villages now connected to the net by broadband - Mar 22, 2008
- Gujarat seeks hike in centre's share in rural water supply - Aug 27, 2010
- Bihar panchayats to act as power supply franchisees - Feb 14, 2012
- Gujarat developmental initiatives win awards - Dec 11, 2008
- Ramesh offers Rs.900 crore for village coordinators - Aug 18, 2012
- Modi promises accelerated growth rate in Gujarat - May 01, 2011
- Fibre optical scheme for panchayats approved - Oct 25, 2011
- Panel formed to implement national optic fibre network - Jun 26, 2012
- Gujarat police officer Sanjiv Bhatt suspended - Aug 09, 2011
- Advani praises Modi on blog - Mar 25, 2012
- Commemoration of 'National Panchayati Raj Divas' on Sunday - Apr 22, 2011
Tags: agriculture economy, ahmedabad, amreli, chief minister, common service, e governance, foundation day, google, google search, gujarat, land documents, mehta, mother tongue, panchayats, principal secretary, rural life, secretaries, sinha, video conferencing, village councils