Government releases telecom spectrum for Tamil NaduApril 15th, 2008 - 9:02 pm ICT by admin
New Delhi, April 15 (IANS) The Department of Telecommunications (DoT) Tuesday started the process of releasing radio frequencies or spectrum under the GSM technology of mobile telephony to five operators for the Tamil Nadu circle. DoT granted start-up spectrum of 4.4 MHz band to five telecom operators - Idea Cellular, Videocon-promoted Datacom, real-estate giant Unitech, Swan Telecom and Essar’s Loop Telecom.
In order to avoid any controversy over the spectrum issue, which has become a very scarce resource, the government has decided to allocate spectrum to both new and old operators, according to a ministry official.
The operators are expected to gradually get spectrum for other circles such as Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka, Kerala, Orissa, Bihar, Madhya Pradesh and Kolkata by the end of the month, the official said.
As DoT has taken a slow and steady approach in allocating the frequencies, the operators would have to wait for longer before they obtain spectrum for important circles like Delhi.
- Was told telcos sold stake to finance roll-out: PM - Feb 16, 2011
- One-time fee for extra spectrum under consideration: Sibal - Aug 24, 2012
- Unitech managing director being questioned - Feb 15, 2011
- 2G: Companies knew date of LOIs issuance beforehand, claims witness - Mar 30, 2012
- What is the 2G spectrum scam about? - Nov 15, 2010
- Videocon got 2G licence through forgery: Balwa - Aug 02, 2011
- Companies that were issued the 122 tainted telecom licences (Lead) - Feb 02, 2012
- Companies that were issued the 122 tainted telecom licences - Feb 02, 2012
- CBI favoured Tata, Datacom: Balwa (Lead) - Aug 02, 2011
- Tata Teleservices applications received late: Mathur - Apr 16, 2012
- Call rates can rise 100 percent, warn telecom operators - May 03, 2012
- What the 2G spectrum case is all about - May 20, 2011
- 2G: Court order on CBI's fresh set of charges Dec 21 (Lead) - Dec 17, 2011
- Operators at loggerheads over 2G spectrum auction - Feb 16, 2012
- High court declines to hear fresh plea on 2G (Lead) - Dec 21, 2011
Tags: bihar, circles, controversy, giant, gsm technology, idea cellular, kerala, kolkata, loop telecom, madhya pradesh, ministry official, mobile telephony, New Delhi, orissa, radio frequencies, scarce resource, spectrum, swan, tamil nadu, telecom operators