Google’s Street View service halted in GreeceMay 13th, 2009 - 10:20 pm ICT by IANS
Athens, May 13 (DPA) Greece’s data protection agency has stopped Google from continuing to photograph the country’s streets for its Street View service and asked further reassurances on privacy from the US Internet giant, media reports said Wednesday,
Street View provides users a 360-degree view of the urban landscape via an icon on Google Maps.
The Greek authority wants Google to specify how long it intends to keep its images online and what measures the search engine intends to take to inform residents who may be photographed of their rights.
The service, launched in the US two years ago, now covers nine countries, including Britain and Google has said that it wants to expand its service to cover all of Europe.
Users are given the option of zooming in to a given location in Google Maps and can then drag the icon located above the zoom bar to a given street.
Upon zooming, users are given a picture view of the street and a 360-degree view of the area.
- Google to offer street view of Indian cities soon - May 26, 2011
- Google's eye in sky could catch you with pants down - Jun 11, 2012
- Google to add Thailand to Street View - Sep 02, 2011
- Google offers virtual visits to Mexican archaeological sites - Aug 18, 2012
- Google's German Street View to go live after privacy row - Aug 10, 2010
- Street View on Google Maps comes to Canada - Oct 08, 2009
- Google Street View extending coverage to off-road spots like Stonehenge - Jul 14, 2009
- Police Use Google Image To Crackdown Caravan Theft - Nov 08, 2010
- Google Street View also copied people's emails, passwords - Oct 24, 2010
- Brit milkman blames Google Maps Street View for garage break-in! - Apr 13, 2010
- Australian Govt orders probe into Google's 'biggest breach in the history of privacy' - Jun 07, 2010
- Now, tour the earth on Google - Oct 01, 2010
- Google Earth 6 update streets with 3D greens - Dec 01, 2010
- Google to provide bird's eye view of the Royal wedding route in 3D! - Mar 12, 2011
- Spain hauls Google on Street View - Aug 18, 2010