Google’s much-hyped GPhone is ‘just an operating system’November 14th, 2007 - 1:52 am ICT by admin
According to a report in the Daily Telegraph, Google is fashioning a mobile phone operating system that it wants service providers and manufacturers to install in their handsets.
Google believes the cost of the phones could even be subsidised by the advertising that appears on their screens.
The paper said Google would shortly announce the development of the software, adding that the phone could be available as early as next year.
Currently, mobile phones use a variety of operating systems to access the Internet including systems from Microsoft and London-based Symbian, the biggest maker of mobile-phone software, whose owners include Nokia, Ericsson and Siemens.
Manufacturers build the software into the phones. Google is expected to offer its software free without charging phone makers a licensing fee such as that demanded by Microsoft.
According to the paper, along with the operating system, Google is also expected to develop a special web browser for mobile phones and tailor many of its applications to exceed the search and mapping software currently offered on wireless handsets. (ANI)
- Finnish mobile software firm to launch Bangalore operations - Jul 10, 2010
- Nokia launches E6, X7 with Symbian Anna user interface - Jun 29, 2011
- Will Microsoft buy BlackBerry to take on Apple? - May 06, 2011
- Facebook is partnering with HTC for a Smartphone - Nov 22, 2011
- Windows 8 heads to computer manufacturers - Aug 02, 2012
- A year of tweets, smartphones and green tech (Flashback 2009) - Dec 29, 2009
- Google Android smart phones top as Nokia, BlackBerry sink - Jun 01, 2011
- Google buys Quickoffice - Jun 06, 2012
- Mobile phones hackers' main target - Apr 06, 2012
- Microsoft reaches patent deal with LG - Jan 13, 2012
- Russian internet users double - Sep 24, 2011
- Motorola Android Handsets To Come Loaded With Bing In China - Mar 14, 2010
- Google launches 'smart' TV - May 21, 2010
- Google to buy Motorola Mobility for $12.5 bn - Aug 16, 2011
- Half billion people will use Google Android by 2015 - Sep 24, 2010
Tags: daily telegraph, dominance, financial success, google, gphone, internet advertising, internet search, licensing fee, mapping software, microsoft, mobile phone market, mobile phone software, mobile phones, operating system, rapid growth, symbian, traditional media, wireless handsets