Google to close down Google BuzzOctober 15th, 2011 - 5:02 am ICT by IANS
San Francisco, Oct 15 (IANS) Google Friday announced to shut down the highly-controversial social networking product Google Buzz, along with several other services in the coming weeks, Xinhua reported.
Google on its official blog, Google announced the death penalty to its code search engine, Buzz, Jaiku which let users send updates to friends, the Google personalised homepage feature iGoogle, and the University Research Program for Google Search.
The shut-downs came as part of Google’s housecleaning effort announced in early September, in which the company said it will shut down a number of products and merging others into existing products as features.
“Changing the world takes focus on the future, and honesty about the past. We learned a lot from products like Buzz, and are putting that learning to work every day in our vision for products like Google+. Our users expect great things from us; today’s announcements let us focus even more on giving them something truly awesome,” said Google in the blog post.
Google Buzz, a social networking and messaging tool integrated into Gmail service, has been widely criticised for privacy concerns and held back the search giant from expanding its businesses to the social networking space.
After Buzz, Google launched Google+ in June, which has been receiving a good response and passed the 40 million user mark, the company’s chief executive officer Larry Page said Thursday.
- Google axes five products - Jul 04, 2012
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Yahoo taps former Google executive as CEO - Jul 17, 2012
- YouTube launches iPhone app with advertisements - Sep 12, 2012
- Google to face independent privacy audits for 20 yrs for 'violating privacy promises' - Mar 31, 2011
- Google buys Instagram rival Snapseed - Sep 18, 2012
- Google Background Fails To Excite Users - Jun 11, 2010
- Now, Google tracking our each online move? - Mar 29, 2012
- Google launches 'Instant' service - Sep 09, 2010
- Google acquires Nik Software - Sep 18, 2012
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- What's happening to your Google search engine? - Sep 20, 2010
- Google to launch its own social network 'Google Circles' in May - Mar 15, 2011
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Google launches custom tailored search feature - Aug 13, 2011
Tags: buzz, chief executive officer, code search engine, death penalty, early september, existing products, focus on the future, giant, google, honesty, housecleaning, igoogle, jaiku, larry page, networking product, networking space, privacy concerns, san francisco, social networking, xinhua