Google search gets smarterMarch 25th, 2009 - 2:55 pm ICT by IANS
San Francisco, March 25 (Xinhua) Google has rolled out two new improvements to its popular Internet search service which its engineers said will help guide users more effectively to the information they need.
“Starting today, we’re deploying a new technology that can better understand associations and concepts related to your search,” Google’s search quality team technical lead Ori Allon and snippets team engineer Ken Wilder wrote in a posting on the company’s blog.
The technology can offer users more conceptually related search terms at the bottom of the search results page.
Another improvement is the addition of longer “snippets”, or lines of text describing the search results.
Users making a complicated search query with more than three words will now get longer snippet, in which the number of lines is increased to provide more information and show more of the words in the search query, the engineers said.
- Google to include personal email in web search results - Aug 09, 2012
- Bing to integrate social networking with search results - May 11, 2012
- Knowledge Graph: Google unleashes the Big Boy - May 17, 2012
- Updates on social networking sites worth more than $30m a day - Apr 13, 2011
- Google axes five products - Jul 04, 2012
- Google to launch its own social network 'Google Circles' in May - Mar 15, 2011
- Google Instant: Search-Before-You-Type Technology Released - Sep 09, 2010
- Google to close down Google Buzz - Oct 15, 2011
- Google Search now lets users block websites they don't like - Mar 12, 2011
- Google tests glasses that provide real-time information - Apr 05, 2012
- Apple, Google working on wearable devices - Dec 20, 2011
- Google launches 'cloud' service - Apr 25, 2012
- Indians second-most curious about education: Study - Aug 08, 2012
- Google launches new visual search tool 'Google Goggles' - Dec 08, 2009
- Google India unveils new search format for ads - Dec 27, 2011
Tags: allon, google, guide users, improvements, internet search service, march 25, new technology, quality team, san francisco march, search google, search quality, search query, search terms, snippet, snippets, team engineer, xinhua